The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is an independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, technical assistance, and demonstration projects to assist leaders in government and civil society examine justice policy and practice, and improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans, and its projects and reform initiatives, typically conducted in partnership with local, state, or national officials, are located across the United States and around the world. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace. |
Vera has 180+ employees, predominately based at Vera ’s central offices in downtown Manhattan and is served by a four-person Human Resources team (Director of HR, HR Manager, HR Specialist and a part-time HR Assistant). The Department reports to the institute ’s Chief Financial/Operating Officer.
The Human Resources Department seeks a Human Resources Specialist to:
• Manage the institute ’s recruitment function:
*Prepare job announcements; distribute announcements through online sites, print media, social media, and email contacts; manage recruitment sources and cultivate new contacts;
*Manage all facets of online applicant system (The Resumator) including maintaining current information to respond to federal reporting requirements;
*Train staff supervisors and staff on Vera ’s hiring practices, including use of online applicant system, interviewing techniques and hiring steps;
*Screen applicants and conduct interviews over the phone and in-person;
*Coordinate with outside counsel concerning employee immigration issues; and
*Manage the closing of recruitments, including gathering and filing of all applications and any documents concerning interviewed candidates.
• Manage the institute ’s onboarding function:
*Generate New York wage rate letters and new hire paperwork;
*Provide new hires access to Vera ’s online onboarding website, and update and improve website as needed;
*Conduct new hire orientations;
*Coordinate the return of new hire paperwork, including I-9s and E-Verify submissions; and
*Introduce new hires to Vera ’s Buddy Program.
• Coordinate and manage institute ’s professional development initiatives and resources;
• Coordinate performance evaluation process and provide trainings in the process;
• Conduct research on human resources-related topics and best practices in field;
• Conduct staff trainings as needed;
• Prepare and distribute human resources communications (printed and electronic) to employees, as well as to external carriers and vendors; and
• Additional duties as required.
• Bachelor ’s degree with three to five years experience, or advanced degree in human resources-related field;
• Experience with recruiting for an organization
• Excellent verbal, written, multi-tasking and presentation skills;
• High proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and human resources information systems.
• Excellent communication skills and an ability to work congenially with all management and staff levels of an organization;
• Awareness of confidentiality and security requirements of human resources setting; and
• Ability to take ownership of duties and/or processes, working independently, as well as part of a team.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Please submit a cover letter and resume online.
Online application is preferred, however, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: Human Resources / HR Specialist Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Fl.
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail, or fax). Please do not email your resume directly to a staff member. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Vera Institute of Justice - 12 months ago