The position functions as an assistant to agency staff and supervisors in providing human services to Child Protective Services (CPS) clients, including transportation and documentation of services provided. It also includes supervising visitations between parents and children and providing various clerical functions. The position interacts routinely with Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (FPS) staff, representatives from various organizations, and the general public.
For a realistic job preview, please go to the following website: http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Jobs/default.asp.
Essential Job Functions:
• Provides transportation for clients to and from appointments as requested by caseworkers and/or Unit Supervisor.
• Observes and/or supervises parent and child visits.
• Completes appropriate forms and documentation concerning client contact including data entry into IMPACT and other agency systems.
• Maintain out-going paper and/or electronic appointment calendar for scheduling requests made by caseworkers/supervisor.
• Performs other duties as assigned and required to maintain unit operations including performing various clerical duties such as typing, filing, faxing, copying, answering/receiving telephone inquiries, etc.
• Promotes and demonstrates appropriate respect for cultural diversity among coworkers and all work-related contacts.
• Attends work regularly in accordance with agency leave policy.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
• Knowledge of Child Protective Services
• Knowledge of community resources
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to follow instructions.
• Ability to get work effectively with others.
• Ability to effectively supervise children of various ages.
• Ability to operate a personal computer, several software packages, and basic office equipment.
• Ability to work in an office supporting several staff members.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Applicants for positions which require, as part of the essential functions of the job, driving a motor vehicle, must have a reliable motor vehicle, an acceptable driving record for the past five years, and a current, valid Texas drivers license appropriate for the vehicle and passenger or cargo load. Applicants must provide proof of driving record and license.
Initial Selection Criteria:
• Graduation from high school or equivalent.
• One-year full-time social services, clerical, secretarial, administrative support, general office, or FPS experience.
• Thirty semester hours from an accredited college or university.
Must have access to a vehicle for daily job requirements and state required vehicle insurance.
Bilingual applicants (SPANISH/ENGLISH) are encouraged to apply. Bilingual selected for this position are eligible to receive an additional 6.8% increase to the base salary after successfully passing a bilingual test. (The applicant will need to be fluent in writing/speaking in Spanish in order to receive the salary increase).
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employe Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services - 20 months ago