Under direction performs professional activities in implementing the District's programs and licenses related to environmental compliance and corresponding requirements of other regulatory agencies; directs and/or conducts studies required by the licenses; coordinates with various stakeholders and regulatory agencies; and coordinates environmental review and compliance for hydroelectric construction and maintenance projects. Under direction maintains compliance with Federal and State regulatory requirements, and other industry related entities as required.
This position is also responsible for evaluating, developing and implementing strategies pertaining to compliance associated with the District assets in close coordination with other District departments. May serve as the primary contact for field personnel in support of regulatory compliance activities.
This is a single level class where employees within this class perform the full range of duties as assigned including ensuring District compliance with terms and conditions of licenses and permits as related to environmental issues, directing and conducting related studies, and facilitating communication among affected stakeholders. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direction from the Department Manager.
Exercises technical and functional supervision over administrative and technical personnel, consultants, contractors.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION STATEMENTS
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but not limited to, the following:
Maintains all compliance activities under general supervision to keep in compliance with Federal and State regulatory requirements, regulations, standards, and guidelines governing the Department.
Maintains constant oversight of current and evolving state and federal laws and communicates possible courses of action regarding future compliance policy and assists with action plans for those affected.
Prepares, plans, conducts, and directs environmental studies and monitoring methods to implement license terms and conditions for District facilities; reviews and analyzes study results and monitoring data to determine potential impacts to operations and makes appropriate recommendations to management.
Serves as primary liaison with outside regulatory agencies regarding regulatory requirements pertaining to implementation of the licenses and hydroelectric maintenance and construction projects; develops and implements strategic plans for meeting requirements.
Coordinates with District personnel and departments to ensure compliance with license requirements; prepares reports and reviews and assesses reports completed by consultants and confers with legal counsel as needed. Analyzes, interprets and summarizes monitoring data.
Meets and coordinates with various stakeholders, including the general public and regulatory agencies to discuss impacts of District projects and negotiates resolution of issues.
Prepares and submits required reports to various regulatory agencies and prepares State and Federal environmental and permitting documentation related to District projects.
Conducts inspections of construction and operations sites to ensure compliance with various regulatory permit conditions and license agreements.
Prepares requests for proposals for professional consulting services; participates in evaluation and selection, and oversees awarded contracts.
Oversees and reviews work of consultants that perform specific project work assignments including preparation of environmental documents to ensure products meet all regulatory requirements.
Ensures that budgets, schedules, standards and contract specifications are met appropriately.
Prepares a variety of technical and administrative reports and correspondence.
May prepare and make presentations to the Board of Directors and District Committees.
May plan, prioritize, and review the work of staff, develop schedules and methods to accomplish assignments, provide and coordinate staff training, and work with employees to correct deficiencies.
May assist in conducting Environmental and Operations Inspections.
Builds and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, other District employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
Performs related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of environmental analysis, facility and land use planning.
- Pertinent local, State and Federal rules, regulations and laws related to District operations and associated environmental review issues, including the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Facilitation and negotiation practices.
- Research methods and procedures.
- Personal computer use including word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Principles and practices of technical and functional supervision and training.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION GUIDELINES
- Implement the terms and conditions of the District's licenses as related to environmental compliance and corresponding requirements of other regulatory agencies and coordinate with various stakeholders and regulatory agencies.
- Manage large quantities of data in an organized fashion.
- Relate cooperatively with members of the public, consultants, contractors, regulatory personnel and Agency personnel and Directors.
- Assess and resolve complex licensing issues and work with various agencies and outside groups/entities.
- Prepare detailed technical reports for review by regulatory agencies and the public.
- Coordinate and review the work of consultants preparing complex environmental documents. Read, analyze, and interpret State and Federal laws and regulations, scientific and technical literature, maps, and legal documents.
- Provide technical and functional supervision over assigned staff and effectively train staff.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Four years of responsible journey experience similar to Associate Engineer with the Nevada Irrigation District, Watershed Coordinator, Program Planner, or similar position.
Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in engineering, land use planning, environmental science, or a related field.
License and Certificate:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Work is generally performed in a temperature controlled office environment subject to typical office noise, with some work done outdoors with exposure to traffic, outdoor weather conditions including extreme heat and cold and to wet, and humid conditions.
Essential functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary to sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 25 pounds or less. Requires working with arc flash protection clothing, masks, and other safety gear. Requires climbing structures and working in confined spaces.
Essential functions may require maintaining mental condition necessary to know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures; handle conflict.
EnergyCentralJobs.com - 30+ days ago