Reporting to the manager/supervisor of the Central Processing Department (CPD), the Certified Instrument Technician II is responsible for all the decontamination, assembly and sterilization of all general instrumentation used throughout MEEI. The Instrument Technician II must be able to assemble case carts with the supplies and instrumentation as required by the surgical pick list. The Certified Instrument Technician II will assume a charge position as necessary and will assist the Instrument Technician I with highly technical instrumentation as needed. Must be able to maintain a high level of accuracy in the products produced.
1. The Certified Instrument Technician II reports to the Manager/Supervisor of the department but may receive direct supervision from a Resource Leader in the absence of the Management Team.
2. The Certified Instrument Technician II will assist with interdepartmental training classes as scheduled.
3. Will assist Management Team with maintaining adequate instrument inventory levels and communicate needs on a weekly basis.
4. The Certified Instrument Technician II will perform the duties of preceptor to staff.
5. The Certified Instrument Technician II will conduct the yearly specialized department competencies with all staff under the direction of the Management Team.
6. Communicates with OR for updates and changes in surgery schedule, prioritizes work based on surgical schedule.
7. Assembles specialty case carts as pick lists require, sends completed case carts to the OR, and returns unused supplies from the OR to proper inventory.
8. aintains adequate par levels of products both common stock and special order items—in a cost-effective manner, rotate stock.
9. tilizes Instrument Tracking System and Surgical Services Scheduling System as necessary.
10. ssembles instrumentation for sterilization following the set count/instruction sheet. Set must be inspected for function, defects, cleanliness and overall condition.
11. erforms decontamination procedures according to prescribed specifications in a safe and cost-effective manner. Disassembles instrumentation and processes it according to manufacturer’s guidelines.
12. ddresses damage/repair of instrumentation upon arrival into decontamination area and reports to manager/supervisor.
13. aintains adequate supply levels of sterile stock that is prepared in CPD for the sterile storage/case cart assembly area.
14. Responsible for the returning of sterile supplies/instrumentation to the appropriate storage space in sterile/case cart assembly area, rotating as necessary.
15. Assists in other areas of the department as needed.
16. Utilizes the communication book/board and shift reports as necessary to keep the staff current with the changes, updates, etc.
17. Monitors quality assurance of all items ready for sterilization for correct identifications and packaging to insure proper sterilization.
18. Participates in maintaining and clean, healthy work environment and restocks work area supplies as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. High school education or GED.
2. The ability to read, write and comprehend English and follow detailed technical instructions; ability to communicate with others in order to fulfill above details.
3. Must provide verification of National Certification through the CBSPD, Inc Organization.
4. The instrument technician must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek management assistance as appropriate.
5. Must have basic computer skills.
6. Must be able to maintain positive relationships with both internal and external customers. Adheres to all patient satisfaction standards documented in the MEEI Employee Handbook.
Demonstrates knowledge of surgical supplies and their basic uses
Demonstrates knowledge of basic microbiology and a basic understanding of the mechanism of disease transmission
Demonstrates a working knowledge of the operation of the ultrasonic machine, washer sterilizers, washer-disinfector, and manual cleaning methods when indicated.
Demonstrates a working knowledge of chemicals and their uses pertaining to decontamination of equipment sent to CPD.
Is knowledgeable of and adheres to standard precautions and the OSHA blood-borne pathogen standard when working in the area.
Demonstrates a working knowledge of the operation of the washer disinfectors, heat-sealing machines, ultrasonic machine, elevators and cart washer.
Demonstrates a working knowledge of the Steam and Sterrad sterilizers.
Demonstrates knowledge of sterilization time requirements when setting priorities for instrument processing.
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary - 8 months ago