The Intellectual Property Administrator will be a part of the NAMCO BANDAI Games America legal department and will be responsible for coordinating, maintaining, and protecting the company's domestic and foreign IP portfolio. The IP Administrator will keep the Legal & Business Affairs department apprised of new and pending matters, and collaborate with colleagues in the company, across the various domestic group companies, and the Global IP Strategy group in Japan. The IP Administrator will also assist with enforcing the company's brands on the Internet, handling cease and desist demands, reviewing watch notices, investigating third party use of marks, and providing support to the licensing group with granting and securing 3rd party permission requests. The ideal candidate must be a team player with a positive attitude, be passionate and competent about brands and IP protection, and have the ability to adapt to current/future responsibilities and the willingness to expand responsibilities as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct and analyze trademark searches
- Advise on product naming process and clearing trademarks worldwide
- Gather evidence of use for various domestic and foreign trademarks
- Prepare reports on trademark activity as needed
- Maintain database and files for foreign and domestic trademarks, copyrights, and patents, including actively maintaining databases of IP opposition, cancellation, and conflict matters, and portfolio
- Assist outside counsel as needed in preparing and filing domestic and international trademark applications, offic eaction responses, and other trademark matters
- File copyrights and performing internet research projects and other special projects.
- Regularly communicate with family companies in Japan and other global locations
- Document collection, preparation, and production for all legal matters.
- Maintain and administer legal files including hard copy and electronic files
- Contract tracking via database
- Assist in basic copyright and patent matters (although prior knowledge of patents is not a requirement)
- Support the worldwide licensing department with approvals and database management
- General administrative support
No supervisory responsibilities
- 2+ years of experience working with intellectual property in a law firm or corporate law department
- Experience with trademark prosecution and clearance
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and drafting skills
- Solid technology skills, i.e. Microsoft Office, Outlook, Saegis, Westlaw, and Internet search engines
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Strong research skills
- Ability to work independently
- Superior organizational and project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to proactively manage time and be effective at trouble-shooting.
- A commitment to supporting company and law department priorities and initiatives
- Successful candidates must self-motivated, and be able to pursue projects to completion with a minimum of input or direction, take creative initiative in creating and improving work processes, and work effectively on a variety of simultaneously active matters in a fast-paced environment
- High degree of initiative
- Ability to multi-task and respond quickly to changing priorities
- Good judgment, professional work ethic, and positive attitude
- Japanese language skills are a plus
- B.A or A.A. or equivalent experience
- Paralegal certification is a plus
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
To apply for this position, click here
NAMCO BANDAI - 15 months ago