This position can also be filled in Lone Tree, CO
The IP Engineer’s primary purpose is ensuring that ‘delivery of service’ to XO Communications customers is maintained at all times and to diagnose and repair services when any customer is out of service or experiencing other service related issues. The engineer will work with emerging technologies, participate in the architecture and product design process, and ensure that engineering standards are maintained on the IP network.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Diagnoses and repairs interruptions and degradations affecting customer Enterprise VoIP solutions, MPLS, High Speed Transport services and other emerging technologies; engaging other parties as necessary.
• Utilizes network management tools and protocols to diagnose and repair highly complex framing, IP routing, packet sequencing and other layer 2, 3 and 4 issues.
• Configures and diagnoses trouble relating to dynamic routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, etc.).
• Configures and troubleshoots issues with premise-based security devices (IDS, IPS, etc.).
• Performs facilities testing and fault isolation working cooperatively with the customer, LEC and XO technicians. Diagnoses and repairs Quality of Service (QoS) issues.
• Assists with administration, configuration and troubleshooting of switches, routers and other telecommunication equipment
• Collaborates with Technology to add and enhance services (QoS, policy-based routing, traffic shaping, WAN acceleration, etc). Maintains a working lab with all supported CPE platforms for testing and design development.
• Work with team and/or vendor to troubleshoot and recommend repair steps for customer and network issues escalated from Operations or Activations teams.
• Ensures service interruptions are immediately acted upon, and continue to be actively managed to service restoration.
• Provides documentation of all events and procedures taken to restore service in a professional manner with appropriate level of detail.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in the field of Computer Science or Information Technology preferred.
Relevant Work Experience: 3-5 years of experience working on large IP/switched networks.
Supervise Staff? No
If yes, please provide list of titles and count.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Basic Computer Skills Required? Yes
• Microsoft Office Suite
• Linux/UNIX shell
• Enterprise-level routers
• Enterprise-level switches
• Service provider-level routers
• Service provider-level switches
• Microsoft Windows
• Cisco IOS
• Junos OS/ Junos OSe
• Adtran AOS
Other Job Specific Skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; Proven attention to detail
• Ability to troubleshoot problems utilizing the information at hand and common sense
• Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills
• Proactive, self-motivated team player with demonstrated follow-through skills
• Ability to be flexible and work in a fast-paced environment
XO Communications - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard -
XO Communications is a leading broadband communications service provider offering a complete set of communications services, including:...