Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, great ideas have a way of becoming great products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish.
The Internet Services Group is hiring UNIX Systems Administrators! Apple's ISG is a diverse, tight knit group of systems, storage and network engineers that collaborate with DBAs, tools and application developers, all supporting millions of customers. Preferred candidates must have a deep and functional understanding of Systems Administration and automation of large scale systems. A good foundation of network engineering, application flow, and load balancing are a must.
Apple's ISG supports iTunes, iCloud, iMessage, Game Center, FaceTime, and more. This position will be supporting one or more of these projects, being involved with ongoing issues such as capacity planning and performance improvement. The role will also be responsible for managing the lab and QA environments. The ideal candidate is expected to excel under pressure, work well with others, be self motivated, and be able to manage short and long term projects.
This role must actively interface with software developers, network engineers, systems, storage, project management and database administrators.
Eligible candidates should:
- always act with customers in mind
- consistently meet deadlines
- be able to learn and react quickly when facing new problems
- be able to handle multiple tasks and projects
- evaluate priorities and use time effectively & efficiently concentrating efforts on the most important tasks
- quickly grasp the essence and the underlying structure of things
- deal with concepts and complexity comfortably
- enjoy the challenge of unfamiliar tasks
- work independently or in a team
- Cross train peer and other team engineers as required.
- Provide second-tier on call support for related services.
- Identify, troubleshoot and resolve issues quickly and effectively, sometimes under pressure.
- Develop and maintain tools/scripts to facilitate automation and support ongoing growth in a distributed environment.
- Participate in the 24x7 pager rotation for thousands of systems supporting millions of customers in an Internet facing environment.
- Define and write clear technical documentation related to systems and applications as necessary.
- Work well in a team environment and be able to discuss accurate technical information with developers to identify and resolve complex issues quickly.
- Lift hardware/equipment up to 50lbs in weight
- Technical BS/MS degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 5-7 years in systems administration or networking in a large environment (50+ servers minimum)
- Background in Linux, OS X/BSD, Solaris and Networking
- Familiarity with shell scripting or perl, nmap, curl
- Familiar and comfortable with the following: Apache, memcached, SNMP, Java, Tomcat, dtrace/strace, network analysis tools
- Experience in creating software/scripts to automate production systems with some of the following: bash, perl, ruby, python, C/C++, etc.
- Kickstart, Jumpstart, PXE, DHCP, DNS, Configuration management, monitoring tools (ie: Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix, Ganglia, etc)
- Linux and Solaris package management
- Proficiency with source control, continuous integration and testing methods ( svn, git )
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- RHEL 5 & 6, Solaris 10, OS X Server
- Network Appliance, Isilon, or other large scale storage products
- Load Balancers and Layer 7 traffic routing via NetScalers, F5, etc
- Cassandra, MongoDB, Riak or other NoSQL solutions
Apple - 22 months ago
Apple reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, defined the future of mobile media and computing devices with...