NREL is seeking an Audio/Visual (AV) Engineer to work in the Information Services Office. This position will be responsible for planning, specifying, purchasing, installing, maintaining and supporting audio/visual equipment in conference rooms, offices and specialty spaces across the laboratory. The person will work with groups across Information Services Office and the other NREL offices and research centers for their specialty AV needs including teleconferencing and visualization systems. |
• Responsible for maintaining and operating AV equipment used in conference rooms such as interactive whiteboards, large flat-panel displays, projectors & their screens, AV control systems, video-teleconferencing (VTC) systems, etc. Responsible for maintaining inventory of critical spare parts and excess equipment for use elsewhere in the lab.
• Aid in development and documentation of AV standards ensuring all specialized rooms are maintained, upgrades budgeted, and overall quality of rooms are maintained using both internal and external resources.
• Project/production management of in-house live events such as town halls, all-hands meeting, conferences and "VIP" presentations. Provide expertise to the end users about capabilities of our systems; manage the AV portion of the event; as well as staging and lighting set up. Act as a liaison to Communications and Public Affairs for in-house events or advising external vendors.
• Train desktop technicians to provide 1st tier AV support. Provide 2nd Tier customer support to end users for conference room and high-end specialty room viewing/screening equipment. Resolve problems for individuals and groups in an efficient and professional manner, recognizing the proper course of action to take and prioritizing the tasks that need attention.
• Document, track, and monitor the problems and requests in service tracking system to ensure a timely resolution and historical documentation.
• Check conference rooms regularly to ensure proper functionality. Insure those rooms are kept neat and free of safety hazards. Manage “cable sprawl” to maintain cleanliness and safety in these spaces.
• Prepare proposals, specify requirements, request quotes and statement of work documents, and review bids for AV projects, refining bids as necessary before submitting to contract review and purchasing. Ensure that energy efficient equipment is ordered/installed when ever possible.
• Work with construction contractors and subcontractors to specify equipment, consult on designs and needs, and assist with installation and setup if called on.
Required Education and Experience
Relevant Associate's Degree or certification program of comparable scope and 5 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Extensive knowledge and skills related to specialty. Working knowledge of network operating systems and protocols. General understanding of network infrastructure and administration. Practical application to a wide variety of problems and situations specific to the discipline or field supported.
Strong analytical techniques and practices. Strong communication, interpersonal, project management and customer relations skills.
Additional Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
• Proven experience and knowledge of:
o Tandberg/Cisco’s Telepresence and VTC systems
o Polycom video streaming and VTC systems
o LiveMeeting, GoToMeeting, WebEx and other virtual meeting applications
o Crestron, Extron and AMX AV control systems
o Christie and other business-class and high-end projectors and their installation and maintenance methods
o Flat-panel displays and their installation and maintenance methods
o Audio amplification and distribution systems
o Wired and wireless microphones and systems
o Recent and current Windows, Mac, Android and iOS platforms and their AV capabilities and standards
o IP and ISDN network connectivity
o Satellite distribution and receiver systems
o AV cabling standards (component, VGA, DVI, HDMI), distribution/conversion equipment and installation methodology
• Excellent multi-tasking skills. Prioritizes and performs a variety of concurrent tasks with minimal direction. Very strong organizational and prioritizing skills are a must.
• Willingness to stay current with the latest AV technologies and evaluate their potential to enhance NREL’s capabilities.
• Must be able to work effectively and professionally with people at all levels of the organization. Able to work flexible work hours, be self-motivated, and able to work under tight deadlines. The candidate should possess good written and verbal skills and should present well in very high level VIP meeting support.
• Must be able to physically lift and move audio/visual equipment and associated hardware.
• Occasional travel to off-site meetings for the purpose of audio/visual installation, configuration, support and user training may be required on occasion.
• Reporting responsibilities require familiarity of ServiceNow, MS Excel, MS Word, and Outlook.
• ITIL Foundation Certification
• Experience with:
o 3D immersive projection systems
o Multi-projector blending systems
o Microsoft Lync’s collaboration capabilities
NREL is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. NREL promotes a work environment that does not discriminate against workers or job applicants and prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, ancestry, actual or perceived sexual orientation, or veteran status, including special disabled veterans.
NREL validates right to work using E-Verify. NREL will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. For additional information, please see www.nrel.gov/employment/eeo.html .