The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) is a nonprofit scientific and charitable organization founded in 1996 whose mission is to ensure the development of safe, effective, accessible, preventive HIV vaccines for use throughout the world. IAVI's work focuses on four areas: Implementing a focused and innovative Research & Development (R&D) program, secure and sustain global commitments, promote public policies that support vaccine R&D and future access and Engage as partners the countries significantly affected by the epidemic where the need for a vaccine is most pressing. IAVI is a young, dynamic and mission-driven organization, and the work environment is fast-paced and intellectually stimulating, relying on the good cheer and high level of cooperation of its committed members.
Job Title: IT Desktop Support Specialist
Location: New York
The role of the IT Desktop Support Specialist is to provide help desk support, training and troubleshooting in a networked environment. Provides support on a wide range of applications including Microsoft products, Office Suite, Windows, Macintosh and Office 365.
Key Responsibilities :
- Assist the Team Leader, Desktop Support in providing desktop support to the organization.
- Perform software and hardware support (MS Office Application Suite; MS Windows Operating Systems – i.e. Windows XP/7 Professional (including any field offices when necessary), providing technical assistance as required.
- Respond to user requests for service and determine nature and extent of support needed.
- Research vendor’s knowledgebase or other sources to effectively perform desktop troubleshooting and to access on-line technical support to obtain software update.
- Install, configure, maintain, and troubleshoot a wide range of software. Perform hardware/software upgrades to existing computer equipment as needed.
- Provide startup and basic training to users on applications and tools used by IAVI, including Cisco Unified Communications System, among others. May provide group training as necessary.
- Setting up teleconferences, web conference and video conferences for meetings when needed.
- Manage and maintain Patch Management infrastructure for IAVI workstations (desktops & laptops). Manage deployment of updates on a weekly basis and monitor current patching/security news.
- Centrally deploy most of IAVI’s standard application software via group policy. Assist with creation and deployment of standardized workstation images.
- Maintain and manage workstation (desktops & laptops) firewall policies utilizing Symantec management console.
- Maintain, manage and support FTP server. Handled requests for access and setup / coordinated IAVI FTP server access for various departments and projects. Run regular tests to insure FTP is operational.
- Assist in evaluation and testing of hardware and software and in planning for future needs.
- Monitor files for virus providing quick resolution to problems.
- Contact software vendors to obtain specifications, pricing, and other purchase related information.
- Maintain up-to-date expertise in the operation and application of major operating systems Windows & Mac, office productivity suites and a wide variety of commonly used hardware and software.
- Convey complex information to non-technical users by applying superior communication skills.
- Deal with multicultural IAVI staff by applying a customer-oriented approach.
- Perform other related duties as required to accomplish the objectives of the position.
Experience and Skills:
IAVI recognizes that each candidate brings a unique set of skills/areas of knowledge. The candidate we are looking for should have a good combination of the following:
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in applying special technical knowledge of the techniques and procedures of software, hardware and network support for multiple users.
- Strong understanding of installation, configuration and troubleshooting processes for software, hardware, networking and accessory equipment.
- Basic networking (firewall, router and server management) experience.
- Advanced personal computer word processing, spreadsheet, database and Windows skills.
- Windows XP/7 Professional and Server installation and maintenance skills required.
- Experience with Macintosh computers, Mac Operating Systems and Mac software is desired.
- Familiarity with video conference and web conference systems is desired.
- Familiarity with telephone system such as Cisco Unified Communications System is desired.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) is highly desired.
- Experience with Microsoft Group Policy is highly desired.
- Strong analytical skills to assess problems or unusual situations and develop solutions.
- Strong communication and training skills and ability to communicate technical information to non-technical users.
- High-energy, enthusiastic team player, flexible and easily adaptive to changing environments.
IAVI operates as an intense mission driven organization trying to solve one of the most difficult and important scientific and policy challenges of our time, as a result passion for the mission is a critical attribute.
IAVI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from diversity candidates.
International AIDS Vaccine Initiative - 17 months ago