We are currently seeking an IT Manager to lead our IT Operations team within our rapidly growing San Francisco office. The successful candidate will manage a small team of five individuals that maintain the infrastructure for the PLOS offices (San Francisco and Cambridge, UK), publishing production stack and remote employees located around the globe.
The ideal candidate will be a confident and highly organized manager with first class communication and problem solving skills. Extensive experience having managed a team of system administrators and support technicians in a fast paced high-growth environment is a must.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Lead and direct the work of a small team of system administrators and support technicians in the administration of the PLOS infrastructure, project management, troubleshooting, and best practices.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to the IT Operations team; create avenues for career development for direct reports.
- Ensure that the existing office infrastructure and production systems function smoothly and offers the highest level of service to the PLOS staff and our users in a 24×7 environment.
- Plan, coordinate and deliver high-visibility technical projects through the full project life cycle. Prioritize the work of the IT Operations team and deliver projects on-time and in budget.
- Provide technical direction on projects involving Linux and Windows servers, network infrastructure, SharePoint 2013, VMWare, Exchange 2012, Active Directory, Citrix ZenDesktop, etc.
- Collaborate with other teams to understand business requirements for new technologies.
- Help the PLOS staff utilize information systems to improve their workflows and efficiency.
- Help improve processes, monitoring, automation, and documentation.
- Prioritize tasks and work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ensure that computer equipment, hardware, and software are updated to meet organizational needs.
- Assist in the evaluation of applications and hardware by the IT Operations team.
- Recommend policies, standards, applications and hardware for the office infrastructure and the helpdesk function.
- Share on-call duties with other team members.
Please send your application including a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and use the job title as the subject of your email.
- A degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- 5 to 7 years of previous experience managing a team of systems administrators and support technicians.
- Experience as a Windows or Linux Systems Administrator.
- Understanding of Windows and Linux servers, web servers, security, storage systems, databases, and networks.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Strong motivation to complete projects quickly.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent activities with a positive and flexible attitude.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to write end-user documentation for non-technical staff.
- Ability to travel occasionally, either in the Bay Area and/or to the PLOS UK office.
Apply Now | Return to top
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard