Job Title: IT Project Manager (Project Management Specialist)
Job ID: 03959
Division : Information Services
Work Location(s): United States-Wisconsin-Madison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
There are multiple positions available.
Experience leading projects using software development methodologies is preferred.
Depending on qualifications, candidates could be considered for either the IT Project Manager (Project Management Specialist) position or Strategic Project Management Specialist position (higher level).
Leads and manages I/S projects for I/S Management. These are occasionally Corporate Initiative projects; regularly successfully runs projects over 3,000-8,000 hours per quarter; regularly successfully runs projects with 10-30 team members; regularly successfully runs projects of medium complexity or many concurrent projects with complex resource interdependencies; occasionally runs Corporate high risk projects. Manages projects within the I/S Division. Delivers projects on time, within budget, and in accordance with pre-defined specifications. Ensures effective integration and communication between multiple prime and sub-contracted projects, and quality project performance information distribution. Also researches, provides and improves Divisional project management best practices through participation in Business Office's best practices initiatives. Project management competencies, both routine and innovative, are used independently.
- Project Management (60%)
- Leverages available project management software tools and divisional resources to help plan and manage the project.
- Manages Project Scope and Project Integration to ensure that the various elements of the project are properly coordinated and to create a quality product by including all of the work required, only the work required, and by controlling scope changes (including initiation, scope planning and definition, and scope verification and change control). Collaborates with prime and sub-contracted project leads to develop an integrated overall project plan, works closely with them to execute the project plan, to manage overall change control, and to document lessons learned. Ensures effective integration and communication between multiple prime projects. Develops and maintains overall project plan elements.
- Manages Project Time and Cost to ensure timely completion of projects within acceptable budget tolerances. Works with domain manager to administer project budget. Identifies change control procedures and defines appropriate performance measures. Integrates cost changes within the overall change control system, evaluates cost performance and estimate at completion. This includes activity definition and sequencing, activity duration estimating, schedule development and control, resources planning, cost estimating and budgeting, and cost control.
- Manages Project Quality. Ensures that the product meets functional and technical requirements and satisfies client's needs. This includes high quality planning, quality assurance, and quality control. Proactively looks for defects by monitoring specific project results and project processes. Implements quality improvements using project change control processes, and makes process adjustments to ensure quality improvement efforts.
- Manages Project Communications. This includes communications planning, information distribution, performance reporting, and administrative closure. Ensures quality project information distribution. Conducts project performance reporting and project administrative closeout.
- Manages Project Risk. Ensures appropriate risk identification and control. This includes risk identification, risk quantification, risk response development, and risk response control. Develops and manages risk management plans, contingency plans, and a risk reduction action plan. Initiates risk contingency plans and risk reduction action plans as appropriate.
- Collaborative and Team-Based Environment (25%)
- Follows and promotes divisional project management standards and guidelines. Recommends improvements to the Division's project delivery methods, tools, standards, guidelines, and curriculum. Proactively shares project delivery best practices and lessons learned with the Business Office and other project managers. Proactively provides project data to the Business Office. Promotes project management to the Division.
- As a project manager, works collaboratively with peers of interdependent projects to facilitate cross project resource requirements, synchronize shared technical environments, coordinate production of deliverables, and co-manage inter-project risks, issues, and changes.
- Works with and holds supplier project leaders accountable for their sections of the overall work plan, including members from other divisions of American Family, vendors, and consultants.
- Works closely with their hiring management to agree on mutual accountabilities, negotiate domain resources, establish project budget, and ensure fit to the long-range vision of the domain. Takes accountability for the project's deliverables; and manages overall work plan. Works closely with sub-contracted domain managers and their project leads to facilitate overall project management. Works closely with sub-contracted domain managers to ensure stability of the project team.
- Proactively manages the customer's expectations, being focused on enabling the customer to be successful. Works with project's clients to fully understand their problem/frustrations/concerns showing professionalism and empathy.
- Works with others within I/S and with external stakeholders to ensure optimal service to clients. Shares information and knowledge with others on team to better resolve project-oriented problems and build client knowledge.
- Mentors less experienced project managers on the project management discipline.
- Project Resource / Procurement Management (10%)
- Manages Project's Human Resources. This includes organizational project planning, staff acquisition, and team development. Employs quality leadership to achieve quality teamwork. Identifies first-level supplier domains. May assist domain manager in hiring external staff for the team. Develops role and responsibility assignments, a staffing management plan that aligns individual and group competencies with project tasks, programs that enhance team performance, and time reporting requirements. Assures that timely and accurate time reporting data is available for regular status and performance metrics reporting.
- Manages Project's Procurement of products or services. Ensures quality service or product acquisition. Collaborates with the prime domain manager as needed during procurement planning, solicitation planning, solicitation, source selection, contract administration, and contract closeout. Integrates contract administration within the broader context of the project plan, quality control processes, and the overall project performance reporting systems.
- Strategies Linked to the Division's Business Goals/Results (5%)
- Understands American Family's business environments, corporate culture and structure to support work initiatives.
- Supports and participates in the I/S transformation process including the cultural principles (ethics, integrity, meeting behaviors, teamwork, cooperation, communications, interpersonal relations, supervisory behaviors, contracting, customer focus, quality, risk management, project delivery, empowerment, and entrepreneurship).
- Develops an understanding of the domain and charter within area of responsibility.
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Building a Successful Team
- Decision Making
- Technical Expertise
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in project management methodologies, practices, techniques and tools.
- Experience in leading large technology projects.
- Proven skills in the following areas: Project management; customer and supplier relationships; Analytical and tactical problem solving skills; Project integration and impact on end-user performance.
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of background checks.
A career move to join American Family Insurance may also mean a physical move for you. If you are selected for an interview, information will be provided on the level of relocation assistance available during the interview.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, life and dental insurance, a 401(K) plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave and the opportunity for career development. If you would like to put your career in motion apply online today!
Please review the job requirements.
American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. We’ve expanded...