Job Title: IT Senior Strategic Buyer (Sourcing Senior Consultant)
Job ID: 03130
Division : Controller
Work Location(s): United States-Wisconsin-Madison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
This position will partner with our I/S Division on their sourcing needs.
Preferred candidates will have strong project management experience and strong IT sourcing experience.
CPM or CPSM designations also preferred.
The Sourcing Senior Consultant serves as the primary point of contact for a business unit whose sourcing needs are highly specialized, complex, and high risk (Information Services, Marketing, Human Resources, Legal). Responsible for developing knowledge of the business unit's operations and relationships with leaders in order to determine, develop, and implement sourcing solutions that enable the business unit to successfully achieve its objectives. Responsible for developing a sourcing project portfolio to support the needs of the business unit. Serves as the project manager for the entire spend event utilizing the expertise of other roles in the department to deliver on some aspects of the sourcing process. Ensures all activities in the project plan are completed according to sourcing procedures. Assists the business unit in managing the contract and supplier after the acquisition is complete. Uses expert knowledge to coach and mentor Sourcing Consultants and others in the department on strategic sourcing methodology, negotiation, contract language and terms, and supplier performance management. Provides continuous improvement of sourcing processes, tools and methodologies.
- Relationship Management (25%)
- Serves as the primary point of contact to assigned business units for sourcing needs. Uses knowledge of business unit's operations and goals to determine current and future sourcing needs and requirements. Creates the business unit's sourcing portfolio.
- Establishes, develops and maintains productive relationships with assigned business unit leaders to understand their sourcing needs.
- Markets the value of strategic sourcing and sourcing strategies and initiatives to management and internal customers. Provides reporting to business unit leaders to help them understand spend, sourcing project activity and results.
- Provides direction to category analysts and other sourcing roles to complete sourcing projects for business units.
- Acts as a conduit to both the business partner and the supplier network.
- Communicates cost drivers, industry, market, and supplier performance knowledge provided by category analysts and other department roles to business partners.
- Serves as the primary point of contact between the company and vendors when resolving issues that have reached an impasse with other internal departments.
- Sourcing Strategy Development and Planning (25%)
- Defines the scope and strategy for a spend event. Identifies, develops and qualifies sourcing opportunities based on spend, value opportunity, risk and resource availability. Develops and presents proposed objectives, strategy and plan (including timing and resources required) to partners and sponsors, obtains approvals and aligns sponsorship and resources needed to move project into active execution.
- Develops long range sourcing plans and strategies for categories and key suppliers.
- Develops an understanding of the most opportune timing for major sourcing activities for assigned business units. Determines when business units will have the necessary resources available to pursue the sourcing activities.
- Manages the sourcing portfolios for assigned business units. Estimates the potential sourcing-related savings and prioritizes opportunities based on savings and resource availability.
- Oversees the development of RFx's and answers supplier questions based on business requirements, industry and supplier-specific knowledge, and overall supply market research.
- Sourcing Project Management (25%)
- Leads the entire sourcing process; oversees the project management process (e.g. scope, time, communication, risk mitigation).
- Develops the sourcing project plan including the change management and communication plan. Updates the sourcing project plan as needed to reflect progress and plan revisions, reports on project status and holds project reviews, including preparing and delivering checkpoint materials as needed. Reports project outcome within the project management system and assures all sourcing deliverables are contained within the sourcing project file.
- Oversees the work of other department roles to ensure that all tasks are completed. Provides work direction to sourcing analysts and category analysts.
- Uses knowledge of business unit operations to evaluate competitive offerings and determine best overall offer for a product or service. Compares supplier bids across financial parameters and identifies expected timing of savings/value cash flows. Assesses qualitative trade-offs between the different supplier proposals.
- Coordinates with the Financial Analysis Department to provide information for financial modeling including cost-benefit analysis. Performs total cost of ownership analysis to assess the pricing variables included in the supplier proposals.
- Prepares for and develops strategies and tactics for negotiations including definition or roles and responsibilities of team members.
- Leads negotiations with suppliers to obtain desired results. Seeks ways to obtain cost improvement and cost avoidance.
- Develops contract terms and conditions by negotiating with suppliers, involving the Risk and Legal Departments as appropriate. Develops an understanding of the impacts of proposed contract terms on American Family and potential required process changes.
- Coaching and Continuous Improvement (15%)
- Coaches and advises Sourcing Consultants and other department members on advanced sourcing, negotiation, contract, supplier performance management, and project management practices and strategies in order to help improve overall sourcing and supplier management capability.
- Implements and maintains best in class sourcing solutions across assigned categories. Mentors staff in the development of complex and strategic solutions.
- Drives improvements of sourcing processes, tools, methods and technology with a goal of achieving best practice.
- Works with the business unit, finance and sourcing to develop and implement improved and controlled procure to pay/supply chain and contract/solution compliance processes.
- Supplier and Contract Management (10%)
- Serves as the subject matter expert for supplier contracts. Ensure compliance with contract approval process and adherence to contract standards.
- Documents and monitors supplier service level agreements (SLA).
- Assists and supports business partner in contract management from award to completion or termination.
- Assists and supports business partner in management of supplier. Handles escalated supplier issues.
- Assists and supports business partners in solution management. Monitors the effectiveness of the solution.
- Negotiates settlements with suppliers on any problems that have caused company losses (poor quality).
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Business Acumen
- Decision Making
- Relationship Building
- Strategic Thinking
- Demonstrated experience applying supplier performance management techniques.
- Demonstrated experience deploying procure-to-pay/supply chain processes to contracts and spend categories.
- Demonstrated experience employing advanced end-to-end strategic sourcing processes, practices and tools to large, complex spend categories.
- Demonstrated experience managing or leading complex projects.
- Demonstrated experience negotiating contracts and agreements with high level leadership.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of project management methodologies, practices, techniques and tools.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of advanced goods and services contract terms.
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of background checks.
A career move to join American Family Insurance may also mean a physical move for you. If you are selected for an interview, information will be provided on the level of relocation assistance available during the interview.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, life and dental insurance, a 401(K) plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave and the opportunity for career development. If you would like to put your career in motion apply online today!
Please review the job requirements.
American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. We’ve expanded...