Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Office of the Director (OD), Office of the Chief Operating Officer (OCOO), Information Technology Services Office (ITSO), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania .
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-MP-13-783304 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE : Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
U.S. Citizenship is required.
Background investigation required.
DUTIES: Back to top
Serves as Customer Service Center IT Specialist (personal computing specialist) in the Customer Services Branch, Information Technology Services Office (ITSO), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Provides technical support and assistance to CDC staff in one or more Coordinating Centers and Centers/Institute/Offices (CIOs) served by a Customer Service Center. Duties include carrying, lifting, and moving computer equipment of approximately 40 pounds; installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintaining hardware and software; providing customer assistance by diagnosing and resolving IT problems; diagnosing and resolving problems in response to customer reported incidents; researching, evaluating, and providing feedback on problematic trends and patterns in customer support requirements; assisting customers in resolving workstation problems and/or installing applications; controlling current versions and future releases of applications; ensuring optimal use of commercially available products; identifying, evaluating, and recommending purchase of new equipment/systems; and/or organizing vendor demonstrations of products.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-09 level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience: is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position, to include experience providing technical IT support and assistance to customers served by a Customer Service Center; experience with IT hardware repair and Level I, II, and III support model;
Have a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited or pre-accredited institution in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statics, or technology management, or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaption of applications, systems or networks, OR completed three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such degree, OR LL.M., if related;
Have a combination of specialized experience and graduate education as described above that together meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
In addition , ALL Applicants must have IT related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies: Attention to Detail, Customer Service, Oral Communication, and Problem Solving.
Documenting experience: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/ .
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required .
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Travel required with position: No
11. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: No
12. Research position: No
13. Promotion potential: No
14. Supervisory position: No
15. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
16. Relocation Incentive may be authorized .
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligible within each category. Preference eligible who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Knowledge and skill in advanced IT principles, concepts, methods, standards and practices, as it pertains to the planning and delivery of IT services.
2. Skill using and applying IT customer support principles, methods, and practices.
3. Knowledge of IT technology fields (i.e. security, microcomputers, networking, communications, Level I, II, and III support model, IT Asset Management) and database management.
4.Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
BENEFITS: Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc .
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans .
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov ).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - 19 months ago