The IT Support Technician I’s scope includes providing technical support and assistance to departments, faculty, staff, and students with the use of basic hardware and some software support and maintenance.
Texas Tech University Perspective
• With close supervision by management and/or project leads:
• Provides department or unit, primarily basic hardware and some software support and maintenance, including, but not limited to, desktops, printers, lab equipment, etc.
• Troubleshoots primarily hardware, some software, or some system problems.
• Performs technical duties necessary for department or unit business operations.
• Adheres to all appropriate Institutional policies (including IT OPs) and other relevant internal departmental policies.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Ability to:
• Exercise judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
• Plan and organize effectively, prioritize goals, use time efficiently, and stay on task.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective work relationships.
• Basic analytical skills, including process description, logic, problem diagnostics, and problem solving.
• Basic technology hardware and software competency.
• Training in fundamental hardware and software support through education or experience.
• Provide technical expertise and support for desktop operating systems, hardware, security, utilities, and backup/recovery functions for Academic and Administrative areas.
• Provides deployment, administration, operation, and maintenance of physical and virtual computer labs including by not limited to: Imagining, virtual desktop and application provisioning, asset procurement/inventory, and print services.
• Assist with support of customer technical issues and requests related to desktop, server, printer, and classroom technology. Respond to requests for support within department guidelines using department issue tracking system.
• Provide technical support of server, desktop and application virtualization technologies and infrastructure to students, staff and faculty.
• Develop and maintain resources for customers and coworkers to use in supporting departmental IT roles such as documentation of policies and procedures, user management scripts, and other utilities.
• Monitor labs for performance, security, and potential problems. Document all computer lab assets and keep accurate records throughout the computer life cycle (procurement, deployment, production, and reassignment/surplus).
• Maintain card access systems and pay-per-print system throughout the college.
Bachelor’s degree with coursework in computer science, MIS , IT, or other related area OR a combination of related education and/or experience to equal four (4) years.
For HSC Only : Applicants for this position will be subject to a criminal background check after a conditional offer of employment has been extended, but before employment can be confirmed.
For TTU Only : Applicants for this Security Sensitive Level II position will be subject to a criminal background check and must pass a drug and alcohol test after a conditional offer of employment has been extended, but before employment can be confirmed.
• PMI Certification or Equivalent Training
• Applicable Industry Certifications ( HDI , CompTIA, Microsoft, Citrix, Etc)
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please provide the following with your application:
• Cover Letter
Hourly Pay Range
13.16 – 15.97 – 18.78
Monthly Pay Range
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of the Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity Employers and employ without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or other protected classes.
Texas Tech University - 11 months ago