Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is entrusted with a critically important mission. The scientific and technical difficulty of LLNL's mission requires an exceptional workforce. Whether it is delivering breakthrough results for the security of the nation or driving research and development in physics, energy and the environment, computation, engineering, physical and life sciences and weapons and complex integration, the projects we are asked to solve are, by definition, the toughest you can find. Are you up to the challenge?
If “yes” then ask yourself these questions, then keep reading:
- Do you have significant experience with complex multi- focal plane array aerial surveillance systems?
- Are you a Computer Vision expert related to structure from motion technologies (SfM – 3D recovery from EO Video)?
Modern threats to our national and global security drive the need for new algorithms that apply to image, signal or video streams in support of Laboratory mission objectives. We are searching for an Image Algorithm Scientist specializing in aerial wide-area, multi- sensor exploitation. The ideal candidate will participate in programmatic efforts to propose and develop advanced processing, detection, and knowledge understanding algorithms that apply to image, signal or video streams. A background in both software development and image processing is highly desired.
- Have experience with machine learning, 3D modeling, or object recognition
The position entails independent research to develop and document new tradecraft and analytic methods for new tools and phenomenologies; implement and apply processing, detection, and knowledge understanding algorithms to image, signal or video streams; Integrate the algorithms within larger programmatic systems ;interact with project team members, outside collaborators, and upper management levels; Publish and present research results in peer-reviewed publications and at scientific conferences. Assume role of mentor to student fellows, summer student researchers, and post docs. Still think you’re up to the challenge?
Here’s what you’ll need to qualify:
o MS in engineering, computer science, applied statistics, applied mathematics or a related field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
o Computer vision expertise related to structure from motion, site model extraction, semantic content extraction, saliency/context segmentation, optical flow, object tracking, and network detection.
o Demonstrated experience with complex multiple focal plane array aerial surveillance systems photogrammetry, video stabilization, and video compression.
o Experience with Geospatial Information systems related to designing and implementing orthographic geo-registration tools, multi-layer semantic content overlays, geospatial databases. Including Geospatial tools expertise (e.g. Remote-View, ENVI/IDL, Google-Earth). Geospatial tool-chain design and implementation is a plus.
o Code development, utilizing C++ and Java using object-oriented methodologies.
o Effective verbal and written communication skills along with strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
o Demonstrated ability to work independently and implement research concepts in a multi-disciplinary team environment, where commitments and deadlines are important to project success.
o Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical information, document work, and prepare and present research.
o US Citizenship
If you have these skills, it’s a plus!
- PhD in engineering, computer science, applied statistics, applied mathematics or a related field
- Camera/sensor models, EO, IR, LIDAR, Multi-Spectral, SAR expertise is a plus.
- Machine learning based video content classification experience. Uncertainty quantification experience is a plus.
- Expertise related to software design and implementation on heterogeneous multi-core high performance MPI based systems (CUDA, OpenCL)
- Comprehensive knowledge with robust numerical analysis algorithm design.
- Experience with large scale data management systems is a plus (E.g. Oracle NoSQL, or Hadoop HDFS and MapReduce based frameworks)
LLNL offers a challenging environment and a competitive salary/benefits package. When applying and prompted please mention where you saw this ad. LLNL is operated by the Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC, for the U.S. Department of Energy, National Nuclear Security Administration. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to workforce diversity.
LLNL - 20 months ago