The Individual Gifts Officer develops and implements strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors potentially capable of major and/or deferred gifts. He/she conducts initial exploratory meetings with donors and prospects to determine capacity for major giving.
This position reports to the Director of Major Gifts. He/she must be able to build constructive and effective relationships with the development team and other administrative and program staff. This position is based at headquarters in the San Francisco, CA office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain an active portfolio of donors and responsibility for cultivating, stewarding, and qualifying those donors.
- Build relationships with donors/prospects via phone calls, personal visits, ongoing written contact, personalized emails, and events.
- Provide program information to donors/prospects and draft routine correspondence and acknowledgments.
- Responsible for documenting meetings and interactions with donors in the donor data base as well as through contact reports.
- Assist with asking for and closing outright gifts and/or planned gifts.
- Develop an appropriate outreach plan for the portfolio that demonstrates appreciation, recognition and engagement of donors.
- Build and maintain a healthy working knowledge of Earthjustice’s work in order to educate and inform prospective and existing donors about the work.
This position requires a substantial amount of travel; approximately 40–50% of the time that will fluctuate throughout the year.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or business and 1–3 years’ related work experience.
- Experience using effective interpersonal skills, listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships with donors, volunteers, and all levels of staff.
- Well-developed written and oral communication, negotiating, and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of current trends in charitable giving, particularly in the areas of major gifts and planned giving. Working knowledge or willingness and ability to learn the basics of charitable gift planning.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, the internet, and have some experience with donor data bases.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement fundraising initiatives including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies.
- Aptitude to determine an individual’s interest, capacity, and inclination to help Earthjustice meet its goals, and act appropriately to tie those interests with Earthjustice’s work.
- Accurately assess situations with informal or incomplete information.
- Ability to make good decisions based on analysis, experience, judgment, and maintain confidentiality.
- Skillfully prioritize and manage a robust portfolio and juggle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member with initiative and flexibility.
- Demonstrated dedication to environmental causes preferred.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a resume along with cover letter to email@example.com . Please include “Individual Gifts Officer” in the subject line. NO TELEPHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Earthjustice - 11 months ago