Industrial Technology Instructor
Kern Community College District
Full time, 175 days, Tenure track position as a community college Industrial Technology instructor.
The assignment is at the Indian Wells Valley Campus in Ridgecrest, California but may include teaching at other College sites, as well as teaching in a distance education environment, and/or evening and weekend classes.
The instructor will teach Industrial Technology – Wind Technology, including introductory through advance courses; OSHA courses; AC/DC Electrical Theory courses; and Hydraulics; and other related industry courses in development (electronic motors and generators, site construction, etc.). In addition, this position may teach general courses in energy technologies including solar, geothermal and conservation/weatherization technologies.
Medical, dental and employee assistance plans are provided for the employee and dependents. The District also provides life insurance plans for the employee, as well as an 8.25% contribution to the State Teacher’s Retirement plan. Additional types of insurance may be purchased with pre-tax dollars through an IRS 125 flexible benefit program.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Provide instructional and/or non-instructional services as specified by contract or assignment in a diverse campus and community environment.
• Maintain a course outline for each assigned course.
• Keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and scholastic progress.
• Develop or participate in the development of curriculum.
• Provide current course orientation materials including syllabus and course outline to each student.
• Post and maintain scheduled office hours.
• Attend meetings pertinent to faculty responsibilities or assignments including committee meetings.
• Participate as assigned in articulation activities with local schools, other community colleges, and four-year colleges.
• Use media aids, the library and other resources as appropriate.
• Maintain currency in subject matter and/or service area.
• Communicate with students and staff in a professional manner.
• Demonstrate versatility in instructional methodology and versatility in serving a diverse student population.
• Be familiar with and observe appropriate board policies and contractual agreements.
• Willingness to promote Cerro Coso Community College through community service within the local community.
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching industrial technology classes including, but not limited to, reading technical drawings, hand tools, welding, and basic machining.
• Workforce experience in the industrial trades.
• American Welding Society certification in welding processes.
• Manufacturing Society Standards Certification (MSSC) as an instructor.
• Experience with or interest in teaching using distance learning instructional technologies like instructional television.
• Commitment to maintain currency in the discipline, including use of advanced technology required in the discipline.
• Ability and willingness to work effectively with community support groups, employer advisory committees, high school groups, college committees, and other campus organizations and to be involved in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
• Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
• An understanding of the advantages and challenges for developing a quality Industrial Technology program in a rural community college.
• Ability, interest, and willingness to develop and maintain working relationships with local business community and high schools to facilitate recruiting and articulation of the Industrial Technology program.
• Ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with others in a team environment.
• Ability to plan and meet deadlines.
• Willingness to work with students having a wide range of skills, motivation, and academic or vocational goals, as well as cultural, socioeconomic, and ethnic backgrounds.
• Ability to deliver instruction using strategies designed for diverse learning styles.
• Ability to design goals and assess learning outcomes.
Education and Experience
Any Bachelor’s degree AND two (2) years of professional experience,
Any Associate’s degree AND six (6) years of professional experience,
OR – The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form.
AND – A sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Posting Date: 01/16/2013
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Contract Academic
Work Week: This is a ten-month (175-day) faculty position eligible for tenure after
the fourth year of successful employment.
Minimum Salary: $47,693.88 per year
Maximum Salary: $76,928.28 per year
College/Site: Cerro Coso College
Location: CC-Main Campus, Ridgecrest
Requested Start Date: 08/22/2013
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled, but those received by Monday, February 4, 2013, 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Statement of personal philosophy of teaching
• Copies of legible transcripts
• Copy of sample syllabi
• List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
To apply, visit http://careers.kccd.edu/postings/3303
AsiansinHigherEd.com - 18 months ago