Would you like to join a fast-paced, world class Technical Writing team that is constantly solving new and challenging problems? Are you an Information Architect or Content Strategist who is dedicated to excellent user experience and to creating clear and effective designs for presenting information? Do you want to work with commercial software products that make the world a better place? If you answered yes to these questions, we want to speak with you.
MathWorks is the leading developer of mathematical computing software. Engineers and scientists worldwide rely on its products to accelerate the pace of discovery, innovation, and development. MathWorks software products allow Engineers to manage the research, design and testing of systems at a high level, allowing the rapid development of innovative products.
The Information Architect will help conceive, design, and implement MathWorks documentation on desktop, web or mobile platforms. You will partner with Documentation toolsmiths, writers, developers, and UX staff to establish an information architecture for MathWorks documentation. You will help design templates, and train writers on their use; consult on tool selection and development; work with mathworks.com developers and designers to think about content across the organization. We need your expertise on content modeling, template design, and XML tooling to help move our documentation to be even more usable and reusable.
Qualifications Required / Preferred
- Design, develop, and deliver intuitive, engaging documentation for customers.
- Gather requirements for content and topic models from customer feedback, customer proxies, authors, editors, business stakeholders, and product development to support user and business needs.
- Develop design cases to describe user interactions with content and the information system.
- Create site maps, schematics, experience maps, feature lists, wireframes, prototypes, or other artifacts to describe the intended user experience. Work with User Experience Designers to design the information delivery system. Consult with development and tools teams to refine and implement requirements.
- Design a user-centered content model that supports reuse, search, and information delivery to multiple platforms. Define content types for authoring based on customer goals; create templates and training for writers to implement these content types.
- Ensure that the content model supports a cohesive corporate taxonomy. Contribute to corporate taxonomy recommendations and decisions.
- Develop taxonomy and metadata that enable information retrieval, reuse, and navigation, and that support the corporate taxonomy and content strategy across the company.
- Work with toolsmiths to define DocBook DTD modifications and customize tagging to support designs.
- Establish best practices for authoring documentation deliverables.
- Train writers and content architects on modular writing best practices, applying guidelines for content types, content re-use, and other documentation best practices.
- Help authors implement the model and restructure content. Participate in content development reviews, collaborate on design challenges, and negotiate issues that affect strategy and design
- Mentor content architects.
- Develop topic analysis guidelines to help content architects and authors develop content based on use cases and user needs.
- Monitor site metrics, and make recommendations to enhance SEO.
- Design and participate in usability testing or heuristic evaluations of content deliverables for the content model.
- Research new ideas and industry practices in the areas of information delivery, rich media, retrieval, and human factors
- Participate in evaluation and adoption of component content management system; make recommendations to align with other enterprise content management solutions.
It’s the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It’s contributing to software products that make a difference in the world. And it’s being part of a company with an incredible commitment to doing the right thing – for each individual, our customers, and the local community.
- Experience developing and prototyping content models and information delivery systems.
- Expertise in structured authoring, technical writing, web authoring, rich media publications, user and task analysis, and information design.
- Coaching and mentoring
- Knowledge of web analytics and SEO
- Knowledge of content management systems
- Knowledge of XML, DITA/DocBook, or similar information architecture models
- Flexible and creative; able to work collaboratively with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- 8+ years experience
- Experience working with highly technical content
- MA in Library and Information Science, Human Computer Interaction, Instructional Design, Information Sciences, Library Sciences or related degree.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs 2500 people in 15 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, U.S.A. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
If you haven't heard of MATLAB, chances are you aren't a scientist or engineer. The MathWorks provides technical computing software used for...