The individual in this position is responsible for managing the employee benefit programs for BGSU. This includes vision, leadership, project coordination, leave management and benefit administration. Also, the position is responsible for all leave programs, analytical reports and presentations, and special related projects. The incumbent serves as a consultant on policy and programs within Human Resources and on a campus wide level.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
Responsible for management and administering BGSU benefits plans
Responsible for benefits relations functions
- Develops strategic plan for benefits including conducting researching, benchmarking, and reviewing for compliance to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Department of Labor (DOL) regulations and national and state changes. Acts as projects manager in adhering to federal and state mandates and changes related to benefits (e.g. National Health Care Reform, HIPAA).
- Analyzes BGSU benefit costs, plan design, prescription drugs, and other components of benefits for reports, presentations, and discussions.
- Makes recommendations for changes in funding and benefit plan design necessary to manage costs for BGSU and employees.
- Directs consultants in vendor negotiations for benefits/insurances that include medical, prescription, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability and stop loss.
- Responsible for vendor management of the companies for all benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability, 403(b), 457 and 415 M plans, Alternative Retirement Plan vendors and BGSU’s main contact for OPERS and STRS.
- Directs the process for the selection of workers’ compensation medical management and third party claims administrator.
- Oversees the administration of BGSU benefits (medical, prescription, vision, dental, life insurance, Alternative Retirement Plan, 403(b), 457 and 415 M plans, workers’ compensation, unemployment, and EAP plans). This includes benefits enrollment, qualified status updates, system configuration and table changes. It also includes either writing, updating and/or editing the communication of benefits to faculty and staff, such as open enrollment information, summary plan descriptions, benefit certificates, 403(b), ARP and 415 M plan documents to maintain compliance.
Directs the handling of employee issues related to benefit problems and policy clarification/enforcement
- Leads cross constituent committees related to benefits (e.g. Health, Wellness, and Insurance Committee, Leave Committee, Employee Wellness, etc.)
- Oversees the BGSU leaves program, including FMLA, special leave and catastrophic leave programs. Analyzes costs/saving of special programs.
- Responsible for the annual submission of data to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for the Internal Revenue Service/Social Security Administration/CMS data match for coordination of benefits and responses to their requests for clarification.
- Participates in Inter University Council benefits team for changes needed at the state level for the Alternative Retirement Plan and suggestions for changes to Workers’ Compensation and OPERS changes, Organizational Data Administration.
- Direct document business processes and procedures for data entry for benefits into CSS and for execution of BGSU’s policies.
Other related duties
- Responds to faculty, staff, benefit vendors inquiries and requests
- Supervises one or more personnel technician positions and one or more administrative staff positions such as a Compensation Analyst. This includes managing and directing the hiring, evaluating and developing of the individuals in these positions
This list of essential duties, tasks and responsibilities is not all-inclusive; individual will perform other related duties as assigned.
- Manages other projects as identified or assigned and serves as a strategic member of the OHR management team.
- Participates in strategic planning and analysis of OHR and campus strategic initiatives
- Support office functions in areas of hiring, benefits, compensation, training, records and payroll.
- Responsible for special projects, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience working with Oracle HRMS database, PeopleSoft, or other related HRMS system
- Computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet, database, email, internet and web authoring applications
- Knowledge of Human Resources applicable federal and state laws Affordable Care Act (ACA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA), Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA), Workers’ Compensation, Ohio Revised Code (ORC), Ohio Administrative Code (OAC), Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), National and State mandates for benefits, etc.
- Knowledge of benefit options and benefits plans and designs
- Understand benefit contracts with vendors and pricing methodology
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and groups on campus
- Ability to work initiatives through committees and create buy-in and support
- Analytical skill in examining benefits plans and compensation programs
- Strategic planning experience and multitasking abilities
- Strong skills in project management and problem solving
Bachelor's degree required preferably in Business Administration, Human Resources Management, Nursing, Public Administration or related field.
Plus the following required experience:
• 3-4 years of progressive experience in benefits administration including creation/analysis of benefit designs, vendor contract management, and qualified define contribution plans
• 2 – 3 years of supervision
• 3 years of project management experience
Pre-Employment Background Check
Final candidate(s) are required to authorize and pass a background investigation prior to an offer of employment. Offers of employment are conditional until a background investigation has been successfully completed and all other pre-employment requirements are satisfied. The University reserves the right to determine and confirm suitability for employment and to end any employment already begun if the background check reveals disqualifying information.
Full-time administrative staff position. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefits package available. For more information on Administrative pay grades and ranges click HERE .
Bowling Green State University - 19 months ago