Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce.
This position is being announced under FEMA's Incident Management CORE Program (Cadre of On-call Response/Recovery employees). These positions are authorized under P.L. 93-288 to perform temporary disaster work and are funded from the Disaster Relief Fund. Appointments are excepted service, temporary appointments. This is a 2 year temporary appointment in the Excepted Service.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT : Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to be considered for this position.
- This position requires extensive travel,
- You must be able to obtain and maintain a Government credit card.
The Geospatial Information System Manager is responsible for the production of spatial products, the collection and dissemination of spatial data and analysis, Global Positioning System (GPS) support, and the acquisition, exploitation, and dissemination of remote sensing data. Primary duties include the following:
- Request, coordinate, and deploy internal and external personnel through Planning Section Chief;
- Operate specialized application or geospatial software for disaster support;
- Operate and calibrate GPS units and mobile data collection devices;
- Determine and manage customer expectations for products including: delivery time frames, product requirements, deliverables, and geospatial product request forms;
- Coordinate with appropriate geospatial stakeholders to prevent duplication of effort and to promote information sharing;
- Brief customers on geospatial capabilities and activities;
- Set geospatial priorities based on incident requirements;
- Identify potential needs for remote sensing support across functional areas;
- Identify local, State, and Federal remote sensing capabilities and assets;
- Prioritize Areas of Interest (AOI) in coordination with appropriate authorities;
- Submit requirements to and maintain close coordination with FEMA National or Regional Remote Sensing Coordinators;
- Maintain geospatial and remote sensing databases;
- Provide direction to staff on proper use and interpretation of geospatial data and decision support tools;
- Ensure plans and procedures are established for data backup in coordination with IT;
- Integrate event-specific data into regional/national data warehouse;
- Manage completion and distribution of geospatial products;
- Develop key geospatial products in at least six functional areas;
- Supervise adherence to copyright, disclaimers, licensing, and other sensitive products and data distribution protocols;
- Ensure that GIU-specific considerations are included in the COOP;
- Maintain accurate information and reports on geospatial requests and production;
- Provide Documentation Unit with products for archiving;
- Implement, maintain, and coordinate spatial databases through IT enterprise architecture.
You must meet eligibility and qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
To qualify for this position, you must possess one of the following:
- Knowledge of Remote Sensing (aerial and satellite imagery), Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and various geospatial modeling programs to analyze complex datasets in support of disaster operations.
- Knowledge of the Robert T. Stafford Act, the National Response Framework and other documents related to the National/Federal role in responding to natural disasters and other emergencies
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application includes your:
2. Responses to the online questions,
3. Required supporting documents;
Your application must show that you meet all requirements for this position. You may be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position.
To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. If you are qualified, you will be referred to a selection panel for consideration.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
To preview questions please click here .
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to www.dhs.gov/careers and select “benefits.”
LOCALITY PAY WILL BE DETERMINED UPON TENTATIVE OFFER AND DUTY STATION LOCATION.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- You may be required to work overtime, shift and weekend work with little advance notice.
- You will be subject to a one-year trial period (unless already completed)
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- All candidates must be able to deploy with little or no advance notice to anywhere in the United States and its territories for an extended period of time. When activated and deployed, you serve in a federal travel status and are entitled to lodging, transportation and per diem reimbursements for authorized expenses in accordance with federal travel regulations.
- To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully pass a background investigation for Public Trust as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a review of financial issues, such as delinquency, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs.
- All candidates will be considered without regard to any non-merit reasons such as race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, lawful political affiliation, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, parental status, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- This position has a security designation of "Moderate Risk" and requires a Public Trust Minimum Background Investigation (MBI).
usajobs.gov - 18 months ago
Should the Department of Homeland Security (www.dhs.gov) raise the current threat level, it would seemingly increase to a High Condition...