This position is located in the International Broadcasting Bureau's Enterprise Network and Storage Division. The incumbent serves as an IT Storage Specialist performing duties that encompass the entire range of professional, technical and analytical responsibilities required in the development and daily maintenance of a very large, complex and extremely critical global computer network.
THIS POSITION IS COVERED BY A UNION AGREEMENT
Note: Budgetary conditions may delay or otherwise affect filling this vacancy. However, all interested candidates should apply now.
The Broadcasting Board of Governors is conveniently located within walking distance to the Green, Yellow and Blue Metro lines.
INTRODUCTION TO AGENCY: The Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG), an independent federal agency, is an exciting, multi cultural organization that encompasses all U.S. civilian international broadcasting. The BBG is comprised of the Voice of America, which delivers high quality, multimedia programming in 44 languages to audiences worldwide; the Office of Cuba Broadcasting (Radio and TV Marti); the International Broadcasting Bureau, which provides transmission, administrative, and other support services; and three grantee organizations - Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty; the Middle East Broadcasting Networks (Alhurra TV and Radio Sawa), and Radio Free Asia. Our staff of dedicated professionals serves as an example of a free and independent media, reaching a worldwide audience with news, information, and relevant discussions.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DEU VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED M/P ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This vacancy is being advertised under delegated examining procedures and is open to all U.S. citizens. The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants under announcement M/P-12-129. Status applicants are those individuals who are currently serving on a career or career-conditional appointment, individuals who are eligible for reinstatement, or individuals who are applying under the VEOA program. Applicants who wish to be considered under both delegated examining and merit promotion procedures MUST apply to both vacancy announcements .
The Full Performance Level: 14
U.S. Citizenship ONLY
Candidates MUST complete the Online Questionnaire.
Relocation expenses WILL NOT be paid.
Selectee will be subject to an investigation for suitability determination.
Participates in rotating 24/7 on-call schedule.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
~Works directly with the Division Manager in planning, designing, executing, implementing, modifying and evaluating a wide variety of complex technical projects, applications and systems.
~Develops enterprise level policies, processes, procedures and training plans to ensure colleagues within the directorate adhere to formalized standards and procedures related to the operations and management of enterprise level storage systems.
~Works directly with senior CIO and IT management to plan short and long term budget strategies designed to ensure the proper implementation of infrastructure needs to ensure the agency can meet upcoming enterprise strategic goals.
~Performs independent work for a wide range of Omneon, HP and Network Appliance based network storage systems and projects that often span multiple years.
~Plans, designs, builds, upgrades, troubleshoots and maintains high-performance enterprise storage systems. Ensures storage, its gateways and controllers are monitored, operates optimally and remain highly available, Participates in all incident and problem management activities.
~Participates in rotating 24/7, on-call schedule to provide the technical skills of an experienced systems architect to troubleshoot agency network and storage issues which occur outside the normal business day.
Basic Qualifications: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level which is directly related to this line of work AND must have IT related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
1. Attention to Detail - Meticulous; thoroughly reviews and proofreads various IT related data/information; dedicates focus to accomplish tasks that are complete, precise and accurate to a given IT situation.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customer (that is, any individual who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives and to make recommendations.
Specialized Experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Examples include experience monitoring network and storage devices and their associated connectivity to determine utilization and error data.
GS-13 : Examples of specialized experience includes demonstrated experience resolving network hardware, software and system problems as they pertain to storage systems (Cisco, Omneon, HP and Network Appliance).
GS-14 : In addition to the experience at the GS-13 level, demonstrated hands-on experience developing polices, procedures regarding the operations and management of enterprise level storage systems (Cisco, Omneon, HP and Network Appliance).
Suitability Determination: If selected, you will be subject to a security investigation to establish your suitability for federal employment. The security investigation will include, among other aspects, a review of your credit and legal history.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements and competencies.
Storage System Technologies
To assist in determining if you are qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Providing false information may be grounds for not selecting you or termination after appointment. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Competitive Examining Procedures: Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection Procedures. Your resume and supporting documentation will be reviewed and compared to your responses on the occupational questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. If you meet the minimum qualifications for this job, your qualifications will be further reviewed by a Human Resources Specialist, to assess the quality, depth, and complexity of your accomplishments, experience, and education as they relate to the critical experience requirements listed in this vacancy announcement. You will then be placed in one of three rating categories:
Qualified Category - Meets the specialized experience outlined in the minimum qualifications requirements section of the vacancy announcement.
Well Qualified Category - Meets the basic qualification requirements for the vacancy announcement and demonstrates proficiency in the critical competencies for this position.
Best Qualified Category - Meets the basic qualification requirements for the vacancy announcement and has successful experience in the same or similar job that has demonstrated "outstanding" proficiency in applying knowledge, skill, and ability in the critical competencies for this position to work of increased levels of difficulty and complexity.
VETERANS PREFERENCE: "Application of Veterans' Preference: the Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points, but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who do not have a service-connected disability of 10 percent or more will be assigned to the appropriate quality category based upon the job-related assessment and will be listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within the appropriate quality category.
The Federal Government offers exceptional benefits to employees, including opportunities for training and advancement, health Insurance, vacation and sick leave, life insurance, long term care insurance, retirement benefits, flexible spending accounts, and public transportation subsidies. The link below provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal Employees: http://www.usajobs.gov/resourcecenter/index/interactive/benefits#icc
1. If you are an eligible Inter agency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) applicant you may apply for special selection over other candidates for this position . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position. ICTAP eligibles must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: a separation notice; a "Notice of Personnel Action" (SF-50) documenting separation; an agency certification that you cannot be placed after injury compensation has been terminated; an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated; OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456.
2. If you are still on active duty , you may submit a statement of service from your Personnel Command which states the date you entered active duty, the date you are separating, and the campaign medals you have received. For more information on the VRA, consult the Vets Guide at: http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetguide.htm .
3. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review in our office, in other Federal agency personnel offices, and on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications .
Additional selections may be made if additional/identical vacancies occur within 90 days of certificate issuance.
usajobs.gov - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard