ORAL EXAM TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR MARCH 2013
RESPONSES TO SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS REQUIRED
ABOUT THE POSITION
Under general supervision, to perform a variety of assignments related to supporting technology in one or more specialized areas within the Information Technology Department, serving other departments within Shasta County; and to perform related work as required. Skills or experiences listed under the Ideal Candidate statement may also be used to screen applications.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
This position requires the ability to perform tasks related to specific functional areas within the Information Technology Department. An Incumbent is required to perform in one or more of the following specialized areas:
Desktop Computer Support - Incumbents assigned to this area will perform job duties such as: installation, configuration, maintenance, and support of a wide variety of PC based computer systems and associated components, including, personal computers, printers, PC peripheral devices, terminals, terminal printers, network printers, communications equipment, cables, and modems; load and verify operating systems and software packages, which include office suite applications, electronic mail and scheduling software; display, through practical application, skills in customer service and PC repair; assist in providing customer training for equipment and software within the scope of business operations; work with PC-based virtualization software; work with user accounts in an Active Directory environment; and provide technical support to the County's user community as directed.
Call Center - Incumbents assigned to this area will perform duties such as: respond as tier-one support for customers contacting the Information Technology Call Center requesting help; handle phone calls in a professional and courteous manner; transfer calls as needed; prepare logs and track service requests; report all hardware, software and network problems to the appropriate IT staff and affected user community; follow standard operating procedures when processing customer support calls; create e-mail and voicemail messages that are clear and concise; create and delete user accounts in an Active Directory environment; respond to support calls by using written aids, as well as acquired knowledge in the areas of hardware; networking; packaged, emulation, database and custom software; and other technology in use in Shasta County; and create a service request and dispatch a technician or refer the caller to tier-two support staff in the event they are unable to resolve an issue.
Any combination of education and experience sufficient to directly demonstrate possession and application of the following:
Knowledge of: Operation of personal computers, operating systems, printers, and peripherals including diagnostic and troubleshooting techniques; software tools used to remotely support personal computers; technical terminology as applied to computer operations; standard office automation software; such as word processing, spreadsheet and e-mail applications; account management principles in an Active Directory environment; and general principles of operation of centralized computer systems and related equipment.
Ability to: Operate various centralized computer systems and related peripheral and auxiliary equipment; install, configure and troubleshoot personal computer hardware and software and peripheral equipment; actively promote adherence to County computing and information technology policies; add, remove, and reset accounts in Microsoft Active Directory, provide limited disk recovery assistance to customers; perform arithmetical computations; answer support calls in a professional and courteous manner; maintain logs, inventories and other required paperwork for certain positions; demonstrate clear and concise oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with other technical staff and customers; demonstrate appropriate time management and organizational skills; troubleshoot hardware, software or other problems within specified area and take appropriate corrective action; work effectively and cooperatively as a member of a team and with those contacted in the course of work; interpret and follow both verbal and written instructions accurately and pay attention to the quality of work produced; and effectively use communication tools such as telephone, voicemail, email, internet, intranet and others as required.
The above employment standards are typically attained with a high school diploma and one year of experience performing related work.
Special Requirements: Depending on assignment, an incumbent may need to regularly have access to and utilize a suitable personal vehicle in the course of business (mileage is reimbursed at the IRS rate). Proof of adequate insurance for the vehicle may be required.
Responses to the following must be submitted with a completed application.
1. Do you have an in-depth understanding of the OSI model and how to use it as a troubleshooting tool? ___Yes ___No
2. If yes, provide two outage scenarios and show how you would apply the OSI model to troubleshoot them.
3. Do you have experience working in a Call Center or Help Desk, which supports an Active Directory domain environment? ___Yes ___No
4. If yes, list the names and dates of the companies/agencies where you obtained this experience.
5. Do you have experience using desktop management tools like SCCM or WSUS? ___Yes ___No
6. If yes, list the names and dates of the companies/agencies where you obtained this experience.
7. Do you have experience supporting a Microsoft Windows 7 Professional environment? ___Yes ___No
8. If yes, list the names and dates of the companies/agencies where you obtained this experience.
9. Do you have experience working with Microsoft's "User State Migration Tool" in a domain environment? ___Yes ___No
10. If yes, list the names and dates of the companies/agencies where you obtained this experience.
11. Do you have experience using work order and inventory tracking software in your daily job? ___Yes ___No
12. If yes, list the names and dates of the companies/agencies where you obtained this experience.
13. Do you have experience administrating Active Directory accounts? ___Yes ___No
14. If yes, list the names and dates of the companies/agencies where you obtained this experience.
IDEAL CANDIDATE STATEMENT
• The ideal candidate will have three years of experience as a Personal Computer Technician and will have:
• Experience with the use of desktop management tools.
• An understanding of the basic principles of network cabling & wiring as it relates to PC connectivity to a LAN/WAN.
• Experience with supporting users of VPN (Virtual Private Network) solutions & mobile data devices utilizing ActiveSync.
• Experience with end user training and customer service as it relates to the use of Windows XP and/or Windows 7.
• Experience in printer repair and troubleshooting printer hardware and configuration issues.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential and A+ Certification is highly desirable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties in this class, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; stoop; kneel. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, crouch or crawl, must regularly lift and/or move up to 15 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision and the ability to adjust focus. Work can occur in tight places that are dirty in which the employee may have to crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some positions while performing the duties of this job normally work in outside weather conditions; other positions are in an indoor, climate-controlled environment normally kept cooler than usual. Some positions occasionally work near moving mechanical parts and are occasionally exposed to the risk of electrical shock. The noise level in most work environments is usually moderate.
• All new employees are required to have their paycheck directly deposited to a bank account.
• Some positions may require a valid California driver's license and acceptable driving record according to County policy.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made for those persons who are disabled under the Americans With Disabilities Act to perform the essential functions of the position.
• All individuals offered employment with Shasta County must pass a pre-employment physical examination that includes drug and alcohol testing.
• In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, County employees, in the event of a disaster are considered disaster workers and may be asked to respond accordingly.
• Positions in this classification are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the County and the United Public Employees of California (UPEC).
• Employees in this classification are covered under the CalPERS retirement program. Depending on the provisions of the California Public Employees' Pension Reform Act (PEPRA) and other applicable laws, an employee in this classification will be covered under one of the following CalPERS retirement formulas: (1) 2% at 55, (2) 2% at 60, or (3) 2% at 62. An employee in this classification will also contribute 7% of his/her pay to this plan, or will contribute such other amount to the plan as authorized by PEPRA and other applicable laws. Please click here for additional information regarding benefits and CalPERS coverage information. The provisions in this flyer and on the County's website are for information purposes only. To the extent the provisions of the flyer or the County's website are inconsistent with PEPRA and other applicable laws, PEPRA and other applicable laws shall govern.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURES:
Shasta County Personnel will accept applications and responses to the supplemental questions until 5:00 p.m., on March 4, 2013. A cover letter and/or resume will be accepted in addition to the application form but will not serve as a substitute for a completed application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. It is not acceptable to complete the application with statements such as, "See/Refer to Resume," or "See Attached." Closing date postmarks or faxes will NOT be accepted. This recruitment will establish a list that may or may not be used by other departments. Prior applicants must reapply to be considered.
Applicants will be screened and those considered best qualified will be invited to appear for an oral and/or written examination. Meeting the announced requirements does not guarantee inclusion into the selection process. Depending upon the number of applications received, the selection process may consist of additional application screening, written and/or practical exam(s), oral interview, or any combination thereof.
Applicants are encouraged to apply on-line at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/shasta/default.cfm or submit an application to the Shasta County Personnel Office.
Arrangements may be made to accommodate applicants with disabilities. Requests for accommodations may be made to the Shasta County Personnel Office by the filing deadline posted on this bulletin. Shasta County does not discriminate on the basis of disability. If you feel you are being denied service based on a disability, our ADA Coordinator may be reached at (530) 225-5515; relay service (800) 735-2922; fax (530) 225-5345.
SHASTA COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Shasta County Personnel
1450 Court Street, Room 348
Redding, CA 96001
Shasta County - 30+ days ago
Rooted in Shasta County, book by Jeremy M. Tuggle. Family names such as Doll, Meyer, Stevenson, Felch, Gray, Tuggle, Kidder, Hammons and Mc...