The College Board, a national educational organization, is conducting a search for an Infrastructure Architect, in our Information Technology Department, who will be resident in our Reston, VA Office.
The Architect's role is to analyze, design and be accountable for implementing The College Board's in-house information technology systems. This individual will apply proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify and design systems to maximize the benefit of IT investments. Responsibilities include researching, analyzing, designing, proposing and delivering solutions that are appropriate for the business and technology strategies. Concentration will be in those areas of delivery specifically related to the Infrastructure. In addition, the Infrastructure Architect provides technical leadership across the organization, from strategic decision making to project planning level.
- Ensure that proposed and existing systems architectures align with organizational goals and objectives.
- Confer with end-users, clients, or senior management to define business requirements for complex systems and infrastructure development – from both functional and non-functional perspectives (i.e. concept of operations, performance, test, cost, schedule, training, support and retirement).
- Work with stakeholders to define systems requirements for new technology implementations.
- Model business and systems processes based on findings through use case scenarios, workflow diagrams, and data models.
- Evaluate alternative architectures with respect to their composition, e.g. resources, hardware, software, facilities, policies, documents, risks and cost.
- Create systems models, specifications, patterns, diagrams and charts to provide architectural expertise, direction, and assistance to project and development teams.
- Document and maintain the organization’s existing systems architecture and technology portfolio; make recommendations for improvements and/or alternatives and maintain the architectural roadmap.
- Support process engineering and development related to the Enterprise Architecture discipline.
- Support development of tooling and reporting on utilization, capacity and performance by applications or services.
- Ability to lead installation and configuration of vendor provided hardware and software products related to storage platforms across a multiple host environments, and manage project efforts for implementation. Will provide tier 3 support for problem resolution.
- Validate the architecture’s compliance to requirements and to the architecture.
- Develop, document, and communicate plans for investing in systems architecture, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities.
- Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of systems development efforts, and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and systems flexibility.
- Review new and existing systems design projects and procurement or outsourcing plans for compliance with standards and architectural plans and define sourcing patterns including in-house, cloud and other third partner solution providers.
- Bachelor's degree in the field of computer science or systems engineering required (Master’s degree preferred).
- Professional training and/or certifications using Oracle, Cisco, Linux, VMware and Microsoft tools and technologies.
- 7+ years of general experience in systems design and integration, including server, network, and database technologies.
- Architecture Experience - 5 years minimum across multiple disciplines (Requirements Engineering, Risk management, Technology planning, design, development, System Integration, or Quality Assurance).
- Must have demonstrated experience in leading large and complex technology project or programs.
- Must have 3 years experience in Data Communications or System Administration.
- Extensive experience in developing strategic solution architecture plans.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Superior written and oral communication skills; ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Excellent architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Strong understanding of information processing principles and practices.
- In-depth technical knowledge of networks, storage systems and computing platforms and services including application servers, databases, Apache, NFS storage systems, Linux, Windows, IOS, Android and cloud technologies.
- Strong knowledge of COTS evaluation principles and practices.
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment; strong interpersonal and consultative skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Good problem solving ability and exercises sound judgment
- Highly self motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills and customer service orientation.
- Lifelong Learner – what is learned today will be obsolete tomorrow; demonstrated continuous learning
- Willingness/ability to work off-shifts (evening, night-time, weekend)
If you are interested in joining the College Board and you meet our qualifications, we encourage you to APPLY by following the link below to send us your resume and a brief introductory cover letter that includes salary expectations.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.
The College Board - 17 months ago
From dunce to dean's list, there are three letters every high school student must learn: S, A, and T (those on the dean's list...