Consumer Reports' new Technology Innovation Center (TIC) in New York City has a mandate to leverage emerging technologies to prototype new product ideas. The TIC works closely with the Product Management group to nurture new concepts for customer focused products and services by applying:
• Lean and agile approaches,
• Emerging technologies and trends,
• Consumer Reports' unique content assets and trusted brands, and
• Social media content and other external channels.
The Innovation Engineer is a key role in the TIC and is committed to lean new product development techniques contributing to the design and development of Minimum Viable Products (MVPs). The engineer will architect, develop and oversee the software work of the innovation development team while actively participating with designers and product managers as a member of an agile team.
Consumer Reports offers great benefits including:
• Competitive salary
• 401(k) & Pension Plan
• Comprehensive health, dental, life and disability benefits for self and family, including domestic partners
• Tuition reimbursement
• Relocation allowance, if applicable.
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field. Or equivalent work experience.
• 5-10 years of IT and business work experience on mobile/Web/connected devices.
• Proven experience in designing and creating MVPs to support expedited Product and Technology Innovation using agile (Scrum, XP, Kanban, etc.), lean startup, and customer and product validation methodologies.
• Knowledge of and experience in developing customer-facing mobile/Web/connected devices technologies, e-commerce, REST, on-line subscriptions, content management and publishing, databases, on-line marketing and analytics, and quality assurance.
• Proven experience prototyping software using desktop/mobile tools and full LAMP stack.
• Enthusiastic, entrepreneurial engineer with a sense of urgency, possibility, and accountability who delivers quality work fast with strong attention to detail.
• Extensive mobile development in native iOS and/or Android, PhoneGap, Titanium, etc.
• Experience programming open-source and new hardware via APIs a plus.
• Able to travel.
• Run and participate in lean experiment design, development, testing (including street interviews), and learnings analysis for iterative customer/product validation.
• Ideate and test products and services concepts that leverage CR’s unique assets and trusted brand, that embody the CR mission, and that customers love.
• Quickly diagram and prototype software UX using tools such as Balsamiq, dapp, Omnigraffle, Visio, Google Apps, &c.
• Architect and develop MVPs as simple as surveys or landing pages, to click-through static pages or simple interactive prototypes (low-fi and hi-fi), to full-fledged mobile/Web/connected device digital experiences.
• Implement, analyze, and support tracking analytics for metrics on user behaviors.
• Keep updated on and leverage open source software and APIs and services such as Google APIs, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twilio, Parse, OpenTok, etc.
• Work closely with designers and product managers as an agile team.
• Envision and implement new cutting-edge, compelling interactive experiences for mobile, Web, vehicle computers, and other connected devices, leveraging the latest technologies and trends such as multi-media, transmedia, geolocation, mobile cameras and accelerometers, XBOX, Apple TV, Samsung Smart TVs, Roku, etc.
• Participate in pitch presentations to CR Product Management and key stakeholders.
• Manage engineering staff (consultants and/or employees) including training, work assignment, and assessment.
• Participate in hi-tech and industry hackathons, meetups, events, and conferences that further the goals of the TIC.
• Other duties as required.
Consumers Reports is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
Consumer Reports does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, religion, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status and any other category covered by applicable law. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation in the application or interview process should notify a Consumer Reports Human Resources representative.
ConsumerReports.org - 2 years ago