Managing the Business
Directs the overall sales operations in assigned area of responsibilities.
Plans sales programs to achieve business objectives established primarily by higher level sales management.
Achieves unit revenue and expense objectives within assigned area.
Actively develops robust, comprehensive plans and manages geography business plans to meet revenue goals/quotas.
Accurately portrays forecasts and communicates sales progress.
Builds, monitors and orchestrates sales pipelines to ensure continuous population of near and long term opportunities; manages the size, shape and quality of pipeline; analyzes overall win rates and win/loss ratios.
Critically assesses deals to ensure soundness and problem-free processing by HP back-end operations; Monitors the number of deals with TAS plan reviewed by managers.
Continuously monitors and improves area-of-control operations to ensure alignment with HPs business direction, the quality of business practices and optimum organization performance.
Provides direction and expertise to departmental teams and participates in cross departmental initiatives.
Leading & Managing Sales People
Motivates and supports sales teams in selling, including a high level of support in the pursuit and closing of deals.
Nurtures and advances the talent required to maintain HP sales force excellence within area of control.
Selling as a Sales Manager
Contributes to enduring executive relationships at the highest levels of the client's organization and establishes professional relationships and credibility with key IT and business executives in support of other established relationships with the client.
Strategize with and coaches their team on how to apply consultative-selling techniques to identify and advance opportunities that result in ongoing profitable revenue growth for HP.
Maintains current knowledge of industry, competitive research and information, and an understanding of the client's business challenges and industry trends and markets in order to position and map HP capabilities that align to client business objectives and initiatives.
May also manage other functions in addition to sales
May own full P&L or contribution margin for a country or defined area within a country
Assists in the recruiting, training and development of Sales Representatives
Participates in investment decisions in pricing and resources
Typically manages 3-6 first level managers directly; total sales headcount of 20-50
Education and Experience Required:
University or Bachelor's degree; advanced or Master's degree preferred
Typically 10-12+ years of directly related management experience and work results including success in achieving progressively higher quota or other sales related goals
Demonstrated level of project management skills
Additional specialized knowledge in breadth and/or depth
Knowledge and Skills Required:
In addition to core selling skills.
Sets sales priorities and establishing these as the focus of individual or sales team activities
- Translates business goals into actionable plans and strategies that reflect the requirements and opportunities within area-of-control Aligns area-of-control account and market opportunities with upstream strategic plans and metrics
- Actively manages business plans to meet revenue goals/quotes and advance the business interests of HP Determines if an opportunity is profitable for the company
- Tracks and manages rolling forecasts and budgets to ensure timely and accurate roll-ups
- Builds, monitors and orchestrates sales pipelines to ensure continuous population of near- and long-term opportunities Balances quick wins against longer sales-cycle opportunities to ensure both immediate wins and long-term profitability for HP
- Continuously monitors, troubleshoots and improves area-of-control operations to ensure alignment with HP's business direction, the quality of business practices, optimum organizational performance and a highly motivated sales force
- Collaborates across HP within the field to access, facilitate and direct the use of resources needed for effective selling
- Applies influence and organizational savvy to advances sales opportunities externally, with clients, and internally within HP
Establishes HP's account presence and extends the customer's account penetration to executive levels; Accompanies sales reps on calls to demonstrate and model effective selling skills
Strategic Account Leadership
Workforce Management & Development
- Actively drives key enterprise and strategic account activities - promotes vision and models executive relationship building practices to build enduring partnerships and account share/penetration for HP
- Assesses and manages employee performance to ensure individual and group excellence Builds individual and group commitment to business goals and personal excellence
Coaches and develops sales personnel in such activities as solution selling or relationship building
- Personally develops employee performance to ensure individual and group excellence
Reviews, brainstorms, validates, and troubleshoots selling strategies for individuals & account teams
- Sponsors and directs skill building activities to increase the productivity and accomplishments of the sales force
Career Planning and Development -
- Actively monitors, identifies and addresses sales and resource capability gaps within area-of-control Manages "span of control" issues to ensure such goals as adequate account coverage, employee retention, effective succession planning, and optimum implementation of workforce re-alignment models
Nurtures and advances the talent required to maintain HP sales force excellence within area-of-control
Proactively develops and nurtures solid CxO-level relationships in key accounts as a basis for expanding HP's business-partnering presence
Solidifies an enduring partnership with key accounts through such strategies as active monitoring of customer satisfaction, speedy problem resolution, and advance communication of beneficial HP initiatives or solutions
Strategic Business Planning -
Manages the top- and bottom-line - monitors discounts and margins involved in individual deals to align them with group performance
Works with others to create mechanisms that shift the focus from "low-hanging," immediate wins to recognizing and providing incentives for large deals/wins
Understands industry drivers and the customer base better to bridge HP solutions with account-relevant problems and opportunities
Builds stronger internal relationships with other groups to ensure seamless selling of
HP solutions and to establish clear expectations for resource alignment and support
Develop effective counter-measures and messages
Builds clear strategies for working with key accounts to pursue and close major opportunities, including clear identification of tactics for accelerating progress through the pipeline
Sales Team/Individual Coaching -
Provides better coaching and mentoring opportunities - less improvization, more planful, more call-related modeling
Reviews and provides counseling on account-team deals
Leverages personal sales experience to participate in pursuit planning for key accounts
Strengthens the alignment of account-team activities and priorities with management's business mission and goals
Assesses account teams for strengths/challenges and ensures that the team capitalizes on individual strengths, while compensating for individual challenges
Ensures that sales reps are trained on corporate tools and systems to ensure efficient use of time, better data collation, and elimination of the "management by spreadsheet" cycle
Vertical Industry Acumen -
Develops and exercises a deep understanding of business dynamics within area of control, as a basis for informed business decision making
Solution Selling -
Approaches selling from a business solution perspective to ensure that HP products and services accurately address the customer/client's true business need in terms of type, scope, level
Change Management -
Develops methods for supporting innovation and change across the organization
Able to lead effectively in a complex and political environment, and deliver results; Able to influence without direct authority; Able to balance between competing priorities and be flexible and creative; Drives team performance to best in class
United States, United States-Colorado
Nov 5, 2013
Hewlett-Packard Company, or HP, is a multinational information technology corporation headquartered in Palo Alto, California, USA. HP got...