The Inspire Counselor is responsible for supporting students in their transition to and successful completion of a two or four-year college or university degree, and their subsequent move to post-educational options such as employment or graduate school.
(2012-2013 School Year Position)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support those students who are in a post-secondary program to be successful academically and in co-curricular activities
- Develop a strategic travel plan to visit students on their college campuses. The Inspire Counselor will be responsible for grouping trips (locally or regionally) to ensure maximum impact
- Provide guidance within financial aid issues, transferring schools, small financial assistance support, social connectedness, and other barriers to the successful completion of a post-secondary educational program
- Provide focused support to students in local community colleges, providing opportunities for students to receive both peer and mentor support
- Ensure that each student has a plan in place for transferring to a four-year college or university if this is the student’s goal
- Create plan for current juniors in Uplift schools to provide care packages to students attending post-secondary educational institutions
- Support current Uplift Education RTC Counselors to help create a post high school plan for each student with a focus on how to successfully transition into the first year of a post-secondary program
- Support High School seniors in applying for post-secondary educational opportunities and scholarships, as well as preparing for this transition
- Develop a yearly communication plan for student at post-secondary sites. This plan would include an annual social gathering for program participants
- Provide overall leadership in assisting high school and post-secondary students to find and be competitive for employment and or internship opportunities during the summer and or after completing their post-secondary education
- Provide support to those students who are within a year of completing their post-secondary education to put together a plan for gaining employment or further schooling, and support them in its implementation
- Track the results of students involved in the Alumni Support Program, to use for program evaluation
- Adhere to program budget, and output/outcome and program
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
TRAITS OF AN UPLIFT Inspire Counselor
- Strong analytical, communication and writing skills
- Ability to work well with students and their families and colleagues
- Ability to travel via auto and air to support college students
- A high threshold for stress and a tireless commitment to excellence in all endeavors
- A “Whatever it Takes” attitude
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B. A./ B.S.) from four-year college or university required. Master’s Degree is desirable but not required. Previous 9
grade educational experience highly desirable. Demonstrated successful work with teens and parents highly desirable.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from parents, students, and administration. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be competent in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel) and ability to learn and use computer software as necessary. Ability to use basic office equipment.
SAFETY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Every Uplift employee has an obligation to know our safety rules and procedures; to teach what they know to others; to recognize unsafe actions and situations; to warn others of unsafe situations; to react to emergency situations and to report hazardous or unsafe practices to those in a position to correct them.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit and use the wrists, hands and/or fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level is moderate and may have frequent interruptions. There may be activity from other employees and students of a distracting nature.
Satisfactory criminal records check, pre-hire and annually thereafter, if applicable. Must be eligible to work in the United States and provide work authorization.
MODIFICATION OF DUTIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Uplift Education retains the right to change and/or modify the duties and essential functions of this position at any time. This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee.