Last fall, Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) was an educational pioneer, offering one of the first two edX courses at Harvard. This fall will mark the centennial of the Harvard-MIT School for Public Health Officers, the direct precursor to the HSPH and the beginnings of higher education in public health. As part of the School’s new educational strategy, new and redesigned degree programs at the master’s degree and doctoral degree level are being developed. This is a very exciting time in education at HSPH and we seek an innovative and entrepreneurial individual to join our team as an Instructional Designer.
The Instructional Designer will work collaboratively with faculty, staff and academic leadership at HSPH to plan, develop and deliver educationally effective, highly engaging, and innovative courses and modules for campus-based, field-based, and online learning. The Instructional Designer will be a key partner in HSPH's offerings in edX. The Instructional Designer will be a flexible thinker, able to determine and apply sound pedagogical strategies to a diverse set of public health courses (master's and doctorate degrees), educational experiences (simulation, field experience) and other educational collaborations at Harvard and with partners around the world. The team member will report to the Associate Dean for Strategic Educational Initiatives.
- Identify and support faculty implementation of instructional design best practices
- Promote quality standards for instructional design and the development of courses and curricula
- Articulate learning objectives, based on faculty input, and align them to design course and module educational strategies and learning assessments
- Use learning analytics and metrics to inform course design and revision process
- Develop flipped classroom instructional strategies and implementation processes
- Apply, as appropriate, game-based learning theory and design into courses and educational experiences
- Lead workshops, webinars, and modules showcasing established and emerging instructional technologies and foster faculty adoption of associated, innovative pedagogical strategies
- Provide faculty and staff with support documentation on a range of educational strategies and technologies
- Collaborate with HSPH, HarvardX, and edX partners on the development of best practices for MOOC teaching and learning as well as course design
- Assumes additional responsibilities as required
- Bachelor's degree in educational technology or a related field required
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in higher education
- A minimum of 3 years of project management experience
- Evidence of varied and ongoing engagement with current and emerging instructional technologies
- Experience with game-theory design and learning analytics to inform instructional design decisions and strategy
- Technical skills required - video and screen casting experience (such as Camtasia), LMS platform experience, as well as xml, HTML, and CSS
- Master's degree in educational technology or a related field preferred
- Experience working with faculty in instructional design
- Additional experience in a start-up or research environment preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new technologies in instructional settings
- Detail oriented
- Experience in evaluation and assessment of projects and programs
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program:
Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join HSPH to support our mission of health research & education and be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
Harvard University - 16 months ago