Excelsior College seeks applicants for two instructional development specialist positions. The instructional development specialist will perform diversified informational functions within the framework of developing and maintaining active course content and related files or multimedia. This position contributes to the implementation of College-wide initiatives and relationship strengthening between the Center for Online Education, Learning and Academic Services with other academic areas and campus-wide course participants. The successful candidate must have an ability to learn and apply established policies and practices as well as be a problem solver when new situations arise. Productive organizational skills and flexible interpersonal communication skills are required to ensure that specialized projects and the daily work flow are organized, prioritized, and accurately completed within prescribed time-frames.
The instructional development specialist will demonstrate proficient knowledge of computer applications (i.e., Microsoft Word) and utilize self-initiative and good decision making skills to assist with and/or coordinate details for online course development and maintenance. The instructional development specialist will demonstrate the ability to perform exacting tasks within established timelines.
- Assist in the design of online courses using Excelsior College's learning management systems.
- Inspect, convert, and finalize academic course content into compatible electronic formats - HTML, Flash, and others.
- Possess technical knowledge in these areas:
- Learning management systems
- Video and image editing skills
- Flash-based content presentation software
- CD-ROM course format technology
- Transfer and assemble academic content within course management systems.
- Work with documents, databases, and the file structure of those documents and databases within large LAN (Local Area Network) and WAN (Wide Area Network).
- Use BMC Remedy ticketing system and project management software to manage and prioritize workload.
- Collaborate within and outside the Center for Online Education, Learning and Academic Services to advise, consult, and implement:
- Online course development environments
- Course content simulation
- Multimedia design
- Quality Matters in online courses
- Collaborate within the instructional development specialists team to implement emerging technologies across academic programs, unit-wide multimedia initiatives, and College-wide initiatives.
- Enhance the use of electronic communication across the College.
- Provide support to the academic areas for the learning management system and course design components.
Little or no travel required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An associate degree and two years experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. For example, one year of coursework at a technical school or other higher education institution in an informational technology (IT) degree program.
- Proficient computer literacy and willingness to learn additional computer application software.
- Familiarity with applications such as:
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- IBM Lotus Notes
- Blackboard Learning System
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Willingness to learn new computer software.
- Knowledge of instructional design principles.
- Must demonstrate excellent organizational skills.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail is critical.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team member.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of HTML or other programming languages preferred.
- Utilize flexible interpersonal communication skills to provide quality staff service.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Work flexible hours as needed.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online , or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Instructional Development Specialist Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
Founded as Regents College in 1971 and chartered as a private, nonprofit institution in 1998, the College was renamed Excelsior College in...