The Instructional Technologist Specialist will provide leadership and advocacy to advance interactive instructional technology solutions that enhance student engagement and learning in the Rice Online Initiative. In this role, the Instructional Technologist Specialist will consult and collaborate with faculty and team members to integrate innovative instructional technology with instructional design, media and subject area content for Rice Online courses. The Instructional Technologist Specialist will provide frontline technical user support for external platforms, coordinate data requests and reporting of Rice Online program and course analytics and assist with the development of Rice Online program infrastructure.
The Instructional Technology Specialist will report to the Office of the Provost and the Information Technology Division. The Specialist will work closely with the Rice Online Program Director to ensure innovative instructional technology in Rice Online courses achieve the University's standards for excellence. The Instructional Technologist Specialist will collaborate with Educational Technologies Manager to coordinate instructional technology integration in Rice Online courses, define future instructional technology needs of Rice Online, troubleshoot technical issues and recommend effective instructional technologies for campus-wide dissemination.
Instructional technology, curriculum and instruction, or related field.
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Experience in development and programing for learning management systems such as Sakai, edX, and Coursera.
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
Other Skills Required
- Ability to collect end-user instructional goals and needs, and translate them into digital services for in-class, and online use.
- Strong background in pedagogy and education, and the effective integration of instructional technology with new or existing curricula.
- Ability to push content to production servers predictably and cleanly.
- Ability to explore, learn, and teach new technologies and pedagogical methods.
- Expertise in design and implementation of learning and program assessment.
- Proficiency in MS Windows and Apple OSX operating systems, with an understanding of how each can affect user experience in the classroom and online.
- Expertise in data gathering, and analytics for online systems with experience in report development and creation for a multitude of constituents.
- Working knowledge of web tools, technologies and best practices, including design development protocols, publishing software, user experience design, quality assurance processes, and multimedia production.
- Ability to create multimedia rich environments through the Web.
- Demonstrated proficiency in widely used programming languages and frameworks, such as XML, HTML, CSS, and Java.
- Ability to establish good working relationships with a wide range of people within an academic community.
- Commitment to providing outstanding service and support to students, faculty, and staff.
- Outstanding communication and customer service skills.
- Strong capability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Ability to communicate clearly with individual computing users on all levels - in small groups, one on one, and in writing.
Master's degree in curriculum and instruction, educational technology, or related field.
- Five years relevant experience in instructional technology.
- Experience working with higher education faculty.
- Experience developing and delivering training and effective support materials.
Other Skills Preferred
- Knowledge of a wide range of learning tools and multimedia software, (e.g. digital video, Camtasia, audience response systems, etc.).
- Ability to apply instructional technology to instructional designs in new and innovative ways that produce creative and effective online education.
- Test-Driven development abilities.
- Proven proficiency in Python.
- Ability to write documentation and training materials.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously without splintering.
- Proficiency with a wide range of video conferencing tools and services.
Capable of lifting computer equipment up to 25 lbs.
(e.g. Weekend/evening work, travel, inclement weather, hazards)
Will be required to carry a cell phone and be reachable during off hours as determined by management.
May be required to work weekends or evenings for major project deadlines or events.
Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Job Posting Category
Eligible for Overtime
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Eligible for Shift Differential
Not Shift Differential Eligible
You have to be as wise as an owl to attend Rice University, and have really good SAT scores. Often referred to as the "Ivy League of...