Under the supervision of the Associate Dean, to teach diploma, associate degree, and college-level transfer courses in Reading. Assignments will include day, evening and/or Weekend College sections designed to address student demand. Other duties include involvement in curriculum development, student retention initiatives, student advising and MATC- and WTCS-wide activities to promote teaching and learning, active participation in departmental, divisional, Academic Support Center, and MATC- and WTCS-wide activities, participation in grant-related activities; and other duties as assigned.
1. Must have a Master’s Degree in Reading; or a Master’s in English and a minimum of 15 graduate credits in Reading.
2. Must have at least one (2,000 hours) year of full-time, non-teaching, occupational experience.
3. Must have experience teaching reading and/or literacy, writing across the disciplines to mixed ability groups.
4. Must meet State of Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) instruction certification requirements. WTCS Certification Requirements Summary
5. Must meet Higher Learning Commission (HLC) standards (if applicable).
6. Must be able to relate successfully with students and staff of diverse cultural, social and educational backgrounds.
7. Must have experience teaching an ethnically and linguistically diverse student population;
8. Must demonstrate the ability to create multimedia instructional materials;
9. Must be able to communicate effectively with faculty, staff and students;
10. Must have demonstrated ability to develop and revise English curriculum;
11. Must have extensive experience teaching under-prepared learners and training/background in teaching college-level literacy skills.
12. Must have knowledge of reading assessment & diagnostic methods;
13. Experience with innovative delivery strategies in instruction of English, including alternative delivery courses (i.e., Internet and two-way video) and online course management systems is preferred.
14. Education and/or experience (preferably both) in working with adults who need developmental instruction preferred
15. Teaching – Must embrace and demonstrate the MATC Core Abilities and Standards of Teaching Excellence in development and delivery of instruction..
MATC Core Abilities
Standards of Teaching Excellence
- Communicate effectively
- Collaborate with others
- Respect diversity
- Demonstrate responsibility
- Think critically and creatively
- Utilize technology
- Apply math and science
- Demonstrate environmental responsibility
- Embrace change
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- Understanding Students and Fostering Student Success
- Classroom Management
- Content Mastery and Currency
- Teaching Methodology
- Assessment of Student Learning
- Professional Contributions
1. Ability to lift 50 pounds with or without accommodation
2. Ability to sit or stand for class duration with or without accommodation
ESSENTIAL TECHNOLOGY :
1. Email - Experience with an Email system (GroupWise, Outlook, Gmail…)
2. Telephone - Experience with a voice mail system
3. Computer - Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
SUPPORTIVE TECHNOLOGY :
Experience with or willingness to learn the following supportive technologies:
1. Online Information Management Systems - Experience with INFOnline or other online information management systems used for student advising, student programs, grading, class schedules and rosters
2. Blackboard - Experience with Blackboard or other web-based course - management systems
3. Technology-based Instruction - Experience with technology-based instructional delivery systems including SMART symposium, interactive touch screen monitors, LCD projectors, DVD players and/or other classroom technology
4. Emerging Technologies - Experience with emerging technologies (eg. social networking applications)
5. (Optional) Distance Learning Instruction - Experience with on-line, two-way video, ITV, and other methods of distance learning instruction
Salary is based upon education and experience. A Master’s degree and five years of related experience would gross an approximate beginning salary of $71,617.
Milwaukee Area Technical College - 19 months ago
Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) is not just for techies. The two-year college offers about 200 degree, diploma, certificate, and...