Back to list |
Instrumentation and Controls Designer Location: Albany, NY, Malta, NY Contract Type: Full time Joining Date: soonest Term of Advertisement: 06/08/2013 Company: M+W US, Inc. Job ID: 1134 Business Segment: Engineering Target Group: Professionals
Duties and responsibilities:
Develops engineering plans, Piping & Instrumentation Diagram’s (P&ID), block diagrams, and details for complex projects involving the design of Instrumentation & Control (I&C) systems for the Advanced Technology Facilities, Life Science, Energy & Environmental Technologies, Mission Critical, Electronics and other High-Tech Infrastructure industries as assigned. Provide design expertise for Process systems including process water, wastewater, process mechanical, exhaust abatement and Process Specific Support Systems (PSSS) (spec gas, Bulk gas, chemical and planar delivery systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Can design multiple systems across multiple buildings.
- Actively update and refine M+W’s Safety in Design specifications and checklists as related to the Process Engineering Discipline.
- Be responsible for the safety posture and results for areas of responsibility on each project.
- Ensure that company safety policies and Site Specific Plans are proactively communicated and consistently enforced where needed on each project.
- Work collaboratively and utilize EHS staff as a resource for strategic and tactical implementation of EHS processes and procedures.
- Participate in CERT and HAZMAT training and teams as required.
- Work with the lead engineer/architect to understand the scope of work, schedule, budget, project instructions and responsibilities.
- Work with lead engineer/architect to determine intent and contents of each drawing. Typical project drawing deliverables include instrumentation plans, details, panel schedules, process PFD’s and P&ID’s, and network diagrams.
- Complete drawing responsibility tasks within scope, budget and schedule. Review drawings for completeness and constructability. Coordinate with all other disciplines.
- Perform field verification and asbuilting activities, produce clear field reports with detailed sketches, written and verbal instructions.
- Attend client review meetings and present technical drawings as needed.
- On occasion, work on project team that is comprised of employees from two or more design offices.
- Follow all company and project file management protocols and procedures.
- Excellent working knowledge of 3D/BIM programs and actively participates in 3D/BIM focus evaluation groups.
- Makes suggestions and recommendations for improvement including changes to work flow to implement.
- Perform field verification, asbuilting, and other site investigation activities as required.
- Able to operate independently with minimal supervision on light to medium piping designs/layouts.
- Provides lower-level design/drafting personnel with design sketches for preparation of finishing design drawings, general layouts and guidance in technical requirements.
- Assists Process I&C engineer and designer in completing I&C deliverables and field investigation activities as required.
- Coordinate with other disciplines, designers, and engineers.
- Willingness to learn or able to mentor less experienced designers or drafters.
- Determine material needs and perform necessary calculations using accepted formulas and reference.
- Other duties as assigned by the Platform Lead or Discipline Director.
- 10 years of instrumentation and design experience
- 5 years of process instrumentation and design experience in microelectronics, biotech or similar industry
- Strong experience in P&ID’s, sequence of operations, and controls deliverables
- Strong AutoCAD experience (5 yrs minimum)
- Require a team player with good interpersonal and communication skills, including both written and verbal communications
- Willingness for occasional travel and ability to visit project sites
- 3 Years 3D Cad experience
- Smart P&ID experience
- AutoCAD programming experience
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED required
- 2 year technical degree or equivalent required preferred
Ten plus years of experience.
M+W U.S., Inc. is a full service engineering, architecture, and construction management firm. Our focus is technically complex and challenging projects in the fields of scientific research, electronics, renewable energies, life science, battery technology, data centers and government.
Over our 98-year history, we have emerged as a world leader in the design and construction of research and development centers, mission critical facilities, and high tech manufacturing facilities spanning the gamut from proof-of-concept to high volume manufacturing. The partnerships we have formed take us to every continent in the world.
We are committed to attracting and retaining the best employees. Our teams bring outstanding expertise to every facet, from business and strategic planning to facility maintenance and operations.
We create extraordinary solutions, delivering the unexpected by listening and responding with ingenuity and innovation.
Interested? Please send your application stating your income requirements and the earliest day you could start working to , Phone: or write an email to , who will also be able to give you further information.
Our postal address for your application:
M+W U.S., Inc.
1001 Klein Road, Suite 400
Plano, TX 75074, USA
Phone +1 (972) 535-7300
Fax +1 (972) 535-7301
M + W Group - 6 months ago