Here is your opportunity to perform important work in a challenging environment.
The Office of Science is involved in a variety of sciences, science education, and funding of science research. For more information about our organization, please visit our website at www.science.energy.gov
For more information about the Department of Energy, please visit our website at www.doe.gov .
The Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of the Director, Office of the Deputy Director for Science Programs, is seeking a motivated and highly qualified individual to serve as a recognized authority in one or more disciplines for planning, coordinating, implementing, and evaluating workforce development programs in all disciplines on a national and international level. See Duty Section for additional information.
United States citizenship is required.
All basic qualifications must be met by the closing date of announcement.
Requires the successful completion of a background investigation OR
Requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance.
All documents including transcripts must be submitted by closing date.
Males born after 12/31/59 must certify registration with the Selective Svc.
If selected for this position and at the full performance level, you will serve as a recognized scientific authority and expert in one or more of the following disciplines and have a general knowledge of all of the following disciplines:
environment research; fusion energy sciences; high energy physics; nuclear
- Advanced scientific computing research; basic energy sciences; biological and
physics, and workforce development.
If selected you will:
- Plan, coordinate, implement, and evaluate research programs on a national and
and government personnel for the purpose of representing the
- Serve as an expert and consultant to other scientists and senior management.
- Organize, participate in, or lead committees composed of agency, interagency,
organization and DOE programmatic interests.
organization's research programs, including preparing calls for
- Serve as a Program Manager determining scientific focus and direction of the
proposals, organizing independent peer reviews, recommending funding
allocations, organizing stakeholder meetings, serving as a liaison on
committees, and monitoring scientific progress of the programs.
range of the organization's scientific funding programs.
- Conceive, justify, plan, initiate, manage, and coordinate all aspects of a broad
research programs against scientific and technological advances and of
- Examine and ascertain pioneering research needs and opportunities of this
potential needs of the Department of Energy.
- Evaluate contractor, DOE laboratory, and grantee research proposals and
of DOE and higher echelons of government on the status of
- Develop and prepare analytical documents to communicate with top management
programmatic phases and new developments and opportunities.
procedures relating to program planning, budget formulation, program
- Provide advice and assistance in the formulation of new policies, plans, and
execution, and program evaluation across the organization.
In order to be considered qualified, applicants must demonstrate, in their resume and responses to questions, at least one year of specialized experience, at the next lower grade in the normal line of promotion for this position:
To meet the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirement applicants must have:
- GS-13, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 in the federal government.
- GS-14, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 level in the federal government.
- GS-15, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 level in the federal government.
- Or equivalent, that is in or directly related to the line of work described in this Announcement.
1. Expert in one or more of the following disciplines: Biologist, Physical Scientist,
2. Knowledge of ALL disciplines.
1. Recognized authority in one or more of the following disciplines: Biologist,
Physical Scientist, Physicist, Chemist.
2. Knowledge of ALL disciplines.
1. Significant experience in one or more of the following disciplines: Biologist,
Physical Scientist, Physicist, Chemist.
2. General knowledge of ALL disciplines.
Specialized experience must also demonstrate the following:
Applicants must meet all qualifications requirements by the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
- Knowledge of project and program management
- Ability to manage and supervise staff
- Ability to represent the organization before large groups
- Ability to interpret, develop, and maintain policies and procedures.
Applicants must meet the education requirements described in the web site listed below and must submit documentation as required in the "REQUIRED SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTATION" section below. Education requirements for professional and scientific positions can be found at:
The Individual Occupational Requirements for Biological Sciences series can be found at:
The individual Occupational Requirements for General Physical Science series can be found at:
The individual Occupational Requirements for Physicist series can be found at:
The individual Occupational Requirements for Chemist series can be found at:
If you completed all or part of your education outside of the U.S., you must have your foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying for this position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT FOR THIS VACANCY: A preliminary background check must be initiated before you can begin work with the U.S. Department of Energy. Current Federal employees or other individuals with an existing completed background investigation may not be required to undergo another background check; these will be handled on a case-by-case basis in coordination with the Security Office.
Failure to receive a favorable background investigation will result in termination from employment.
This position requires a security clearance and is subject to drug testing. If selected, you must test negative prior to being appointed to this position and will be subject to random testing thereafter. Failure to pass subsequent tests could result in disciplinary action, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under Category Rating and Selection procedures. Category rating combines the applicant's total qualifying experience and education/training into a single quality category. If you meet the basic qualification requirements, we will further evaluate your entire application package to determine the quality and extent of your experience, education, training, etc., for placement in one of the following categories:
1) Highly Qualified - Exceeds the minimum qualification requirements and all requirements of the position;
2) Well Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and nearly all requirements of the position;
3) Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within appropriate category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Highly Qualified) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless approval has been granted.
NOTE: If it is determined that your responses to the job-specific questions are inconsistent with your resume or if your resume is incomplete, you will be rated ineligible or not qualified.
To preview questions please click here .
The link below provides a comprehensive look at the benefits provided to Federal employees. Most benefits are available to all Government employees; however, some may be dependent on location, agency discretion, and other variables. Federal Employee Benefits: http://www.usajobs.gov/resourcecenter/index/interactive/benefits .
This position is included in the bargaining unit.
You must meet all qualification requirements outlined on this vacancy announcement by the closing date of the announcement.
You may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
The travel requirement for this position is 15%.
The Department of Energy is responsible for ensuring exploration, development, processing, utilisation and management of South Africa's...