Hours: Part-time to Full-time; Up to 40 hours/week Location: Headquarters; Bethesda, Maryland
Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families. In the US, we focus on improving communication related to issues like substance abuse, with a particular focus on reaching underserved populations.
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission ( http://www.urc-chs.com/ )
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Spring 2013 Communications Intern will be responsible for supporting the Communications Department in collecting and developing content for and posting content to the new CHS website, which is currently under development. The intern will write text for several sections of the site and use a content management system to upload, format, and post the text and supporting content (e.g. photos, videos, etc.) to the site. The intern will perform other tasks as assigned, including writing stories for the URC and CHS websites, maintaining the materials library, assisting with events, conducting research, and providing administrative support. The intern will report to the Communications Specialist and work closely with the Communications Department, Knowledge Management Team, and Media Department.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with collecting and developing content for and posting content to the CHS website, including the History, Staff bios, Partners and Clients, News, and Resources sections
- Assist with URC website content as necessary, including tagging the resources database archive with the appropriate language fields
- Maintain the Communications Department's materials library; includes managing inventory
- Assist as necessary with event planning; includes maintaining the events calendar and offering logistical support
- Assist with internal meetings, including all-staff meetings, Communications Department meetings, interdepartmental meetings, and new staff orientations
- Provide administrative support as needed, including preparing PowerPoint presentations and orientation and training materials, etc.
- Research journal calls for papers
- Assist with other research and special projects as needed
- Attend trainings, presentations, and events to learn more about public health and communications
- Practice meeting facilitation and public speaking
- Other activities will be determined based on interest
Required Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, public health, international relations, the social sciences, or other related field (required); Master’s preferred
- Demonstrated high-quality writing, editing, and proofreading skills (experience writing for the web and scriptwriting preferred)
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, digital cameras, and related software
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and research skills
- Great attention to detail
- Local candidates preferred. Relocation assistance cannot be provided.
Desired Experience & Qualifications
- Experience with databases and content management systems preferred
- Web, social media, and multi-media experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet demanding assignments under tight deadlines in a team-oriented environment
- Sound professional judgment
For immediate consideration, please visit URC’s Career Opportunities page at www.urc-chs.com/careers .
Please cut and paste your cover letter and upload your CV where indicated. Also, please complete your application form and attach a completed USAID Form 1420 Contractor Employee Biographical Data Sheet as well.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. No phone calls please. However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise. Thank you very much for your interest.
URC is an E-Verify Employer
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We value and seek diversity in our workforce.