At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Fermentation intern to join our Synthetic Genomics Sciences team in a fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
With direction and supervision from scientist, the intern will execute innovative experimental research to improve heterotrophic microorganisms for the production of valuable food and/or other bio-based products.
• Excellent skills in propagation of microorganisms are required, with particular emphasis on aseptic technique and clonal propagation.
• As directed by scientist, execute research plan towards evaluating classical improved or metabolic engineered microorganisms for the production of valuable food and/or other bio-based products.
• Assembly and operation of small scale fermentations that include shake flasks, micro24’s and ideally bioreactors as well.
• Generate detailed and complete notebooks and batch records; present data-supported conclusions in written and oral reports.
• Conduct advanced information analysis; present and convey issues across functional areas.
• Perform comprehensive literature review and summarize as required.
• Consistently demonstrate initiative and follow-through in implementing tasks.
• High school diploma
• Pursuing a B.S. or M.S. degree in Bio-/Chemical Engineering, Microbiology, Biotechnology or related discipline.
• Working knowledge and experience with different types of bioreactors is preferred but not essential (classwork acceptable). In case of the latter a good theoretical knowledge of these systems is required.
• Experience in the molecular biology or physiology of heterotrophic algae is a plus.
• Advanced data analysis and presentation via written & oral format in a concise, clear manner is essential.
• Background (classes) in the practice of continuous improvement of processes in manufacturing and/or engineering. Furthermore a candidate with a strong mathematical and engineering background is desired.