Performs high quality, risk-focused fieldwork, in accordance with Internal Audit or Credit Risk Review policies, methodologies, and standards in order to identify meaningful issues, risks and other exposures in the area of the company being audited.
The individual works closely with an Audit project leader and other Auditors on each project. Additionally the individual would work closely with clients both in learning the business and testing controls. This requires both good oral and written communications skills and an ability to be sensitive to the needs of clients and team members. Must be able to keep sensitive information confidential and know how to use appropriately. Must be able to know when to elevate potential audit issues as soon as they are identified to the AIC.
Staff at this level will be expected to own sections of the audit program and bring them to completion. Specialists may have different roles depending on their department but all will need to be able to use their skills to find effective solutions to problems as part of the day-to-day business.
Learns business strategies, processes and regulations effectively and quickly and is alert to the changing nature of risk. Conduct risk-focused audits that can have a negative impact of business continuity.
Appropriately analyze control environment and develop effective audit steps to test controls where necessary in line with the new methodology. Conclude on the level of residual risk. Demonstrates these skills through, for example, thoughtful analysis of business processes and issue identification, as well as discussions with the project leader and auditees.
- Shadowing and deputizing for Auditor lll, in preparation for managing audit projects and conducting more complex audits.
- Tests financial, operational and other processes as per Audit or Credit Risk Review procedures.
- Creates and maintains accurate and clear work documents.
- Completes tasks efficiently (on time, on budget, accurately).
- Learns new businesses, processes and regulations effectively and quickly.
- Communicates well with clients and Audit team members.
- Engages in relevant training regarding audit, businesses, financial controls, regulations or a particular specialty.
- Typically works on projects of moderate complexity that would involve significant learning (regulatory regime, business model, processes) on each new assignment.
- Identify problems that are not consistent with past audits and begin to structure a solution or remedy to address issue(s). Identify opportunities for the use of automation and make recommendations for software support requests.
- If applicable, use or learn ACL (Audit Command Language).
- Need to display flexible and adaptive problem solving skills due to the variety of operational and technological infrastructures within the Company.
- Must be able to quickly assimilate new information in order to analyze the risks and controls effectively.
- Relevant knowledge of financial institutions and all applicable regulatory requirements is expected.
- Should be able to think creatively as well as take direction.
- College degree or equivalent.
- 4 year degree in accounting or finance; other subjects may be applicable for specialties preferred.
- 3 years relevant experience. 3-6 years relevant experience including experience in audit or the relevant specialty area preferred.