In addition to a resume, a cover letter is required summarizing experience in the planning, conducting and reporting of formal audit processes. To expedite the application process, combine your cover letter and resume into one document and upload when requested through the online application process, referencing job #10686.
The position is anticipated to be filled at an intermediate to senior level. The general hiring range (based on qualifications, skills and abilities) is up to $70,600 for intermediate level and up to $83,300 for senior level.
Provide independent, objective and consulting audit services to the District. Evaluate, monitor, and improve the effectiveness of risk management, controls and governance processes as they relate to the accomplishment of District objectives and the protection of District assets. Ensure compliance with State laws, and District policies and procedures. Plan and conduct moderately complex financial, compliance and performance audits for operational optimization of District processes. Prepare reports for management and the audit committee identifying issues with controls, risks, and operational processes that may adversely impact the District’s abilities to meet goals and objectives.
JOB FUNCTION: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily. Essential functions (EF) are those activities that, if not performed, would significantly and fundamentally alter the position. Secondary functions (SF) are activities not fundamental to the job and may need to be relaxed to accommodate an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability.
1. (EF) Plan and perform risk based integrated audits of financial, compliance and operational areas and provide consulting services to management. Evaluate and review the effectiveness of internal control systems and identify areas of improvement and best practices. Review District operations and identify opportunities to improve performance, reduce costs, and ensure compliance. Develop working knowledge of departmental processes being reviewed. Foster productive working relationships with members of department management. Develop communicate, and monitor implementation of value-added recommendations. Prepare audit documentation supporting findings. Present results to management and the Audit Committee. Assist on large department audits when necessary. Senior level incumbents lead audits and may also lead and direct the work of other staff auditors.
2. (EF) Provide input and review policies and procedures to ensure compliance with state requirements and protect the safety of District assets. Monitor compliance with state laws and District policies, procedures and processes. Collaborate with District staff to develop and implement new or revised policies. Review and approve District expenditures in accordance with applicable laws and policies.
3. (EF) Participate on special projects and cross functional teams to promote and facilitate the development of effective risk management systems and internal control. Provide guidance on the effects of State requirements and assist in analyzing and developing alternatives. Must stay abreast of major District projects and events.
4. (EF) Internal auditors may coordinate and conduct training of District staff. Senior level incumbents coordinate and conduct ethics, fraud, risk assessments and internal control effectiveness training.
6. (EF) Assist with District external audits as needed.
7. (EF) Senior level incumbents attend, present and assist in the facilitation of Audit Committee meetings.
8. EF (Ongoing) Promote teamwork within the department, the Legal Group, and the District.
9. EF (Ongoing) Maintain regular and predictable attendance. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
QUALIFICATIONS: The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education: Bachelor's degree (B. S., B. A.) in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field from a four-year college or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Professional certification preferred in a related auditing field (i.e. Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Government Auditing Professional, Certified Public Accountant, Certified Fraud Examiner).
Experience: Typically requires a minimum of four (4) years experience in the planning, conducting and reporting of formal audit processes; the equivalency is three (3) years and two (2) years related business or operational experience in the utility industry. Senior level incumbents are required to have a minimum of six (6) years experience in the planning, conducting and reporting of formal audit processes. Government, Public Utility auditing, and/or State Auditor experience is preferred. Background in internal auditing is also preferred. Experience applying knowledge of the Institute of Internal Auditor’s International Professional Practices Framework (Red Book) and GAO’s Government Auditing Standards (Yellow Book) is preferred.
Specific KSA's: A fully skilled incumbent will have the following specific knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Requires comprehensive knowledge/understanding of auditing theory and practice, RCW's, WAC's, business process and internal controls. Solid knowledge of risk based auditing, risk identification and mitigation. Advanced understanding of financial and economic conditions of the utility industry is required. Requires honesty, integrity, ethics, influence, objectivity, confidentiality and initiative. Must be self-motivated, with excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate complex issues and recommendations, effective presentation skills, strong collaboration skills, interpersonal skills, analytical/critical thinking and problem solving skills, the ability to perform risk analysis and data mining techniques. Must possess strong project management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and perform effectively in high-pressure situations. Requires team leadership skills and the ability to be a valued team player. Proven ability to deal with sensitive situations and/or investigations. Requires ability to obtain continuing education to maintain up-to-date knowledge regarding recent auditing standards and other industry and requirement changes.
Language Skills: Candidate must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Computers & Equipment: A fully skilled incumbent will have the ability to utilize the following software, hardware, or equipment:
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of PeopleSoft Financials (preferred) Accounting software; Microsoft Outlook (preferred) software; Internet Explorer (required) Internet software; Microsoft Access (preferred) Database software; Maximo (preferred) Order processing and Asset Management systems; PeopleSoft HR/Timekeeping/Payroll (preferred) systems; Microsoft PowerPoint (preferred) software; Microsoft Excel (advanced skills required) Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word (advanced skills required) Word Processing software. The incumbent should be able to extract and analyze data from various Oracle and PeopleSoft information systems, and is required to operate general office equipment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and engage in repetitive motion using the hands or arms. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl or twist torso and pull, push, or exert force. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. This should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Chelan PUD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce. M/F/H/V
Chelan County Public Utility District - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard -