The auditor is responsible for completing assigned audit responsibilities which include planning, fieldwork, and report writing, with limited supervision. Integrated audits are generally performed over financial, operational, basic IT and compliance activities including Sarbanes Oxley requirements. The position normally operates in an independent manner. This position offers exposure to various functional areas within the company and an opportunity to work on special projects with high visibility.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Research information relevant to assigned audits and assist in the development of audit scope, objectives, and audit procedures based on risk.
- Interact with various levels within functional areas to obtain understanding of key business processes, risks, and controls, and communicate audit findings.
- Perform various integrated auditing procedures including data analysis, compliance testing, internal control (manual and application) and substantive tests.
- Perform Sarbanes Oxley testing and reporting.
- Assist external auditors with substantive year-end audit procedures and special projects.
- Draw sound conclusions concerning procedures performed and identification of cost savings/improvement opportunities.
- Ensure documentation adequately evidences work performed to meet audit objectives and evaluation of risk mitigation activities.
- Document and communicate audit findings and recommendations to audit management.
- Prepare first draft of audit report for communication to management.
- Participate in entrance and exit conferences with auditees.
- Maintain and track project budgets and audit status, proactively resolving obstacles in completing assignments.
- Travel 25% to operating locations in the United States.
- Informs management immediately when there is evidence of gross mismanagement, loss, or any gross violation of company policies.
- Constantly upgrades technical knowledge in order to cope with changes
- Assists the department in exceeding the International Standards for the Practice of Internal Auditing
- Follows and subscribes to the Institute of Internal Auditors, Inc. Code of Ethics
- Perform administrative and special assignments as directed
- Strong analytical, leadership, and project management skills
- Ability to develop risk-based audit programs focused on critical risk and control considerations
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills to accomplish audit objectives and build relationships with business partners
- Self-motivated, quick learner, and dedicated in effectively achieving team goals
- Flexible to work in a changing environment based on business needs
External Big 4 Audit Firm
Primarily Finance, Operations, HR, Store Management
- BS/BA in accounting, business, or related field
- Minimum 2 years auditing experience (financial, operational, IT), accounting experience a plus
- Knowledge of auditing methodologies (COSO, COBIT) and auditing standards
- Experience with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance requirements
- CPA, CIA, CISA or CFE certification (preferred)
- Proficient in business-related computer software (Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Access, ACL etc.)
- Excellent communication, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Experience in distribution/retail business processes and controls - Preferred
For reasonable accommodation information for an ADAAA qualified disability please see Belk Associate Handbook for policy and procedures.
Belk is busy bulking up. Already the nation's largest privately owned department store chain, Belk now operates 300-plus stores...