Position Summary: Assist the Internal Audit Manager and the Business Process Owners with Sarbanes-Oxley project documentation and testing. Perform audits as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (include but are not limited to the following):
Assists in establishing corporate policy in all SOX related matters by understanding and interpreting regulatory requirements related to SOX.
- Assists in the assessment of internal controls design and the development of internal controls testing procedures & methods to reach an assessment as to the effectiveness of internal controls.
- Performs and documents required independent testing of key controls and identifies control gaps in conjunction with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance activities. Performs process documentation for SOX. Liaise with Process Owners to assess key SOX controls.
- Prepares summaries of testing results and interfaces with Company’s independent auditors.
- As time permits, assists in the planning of operational and compliance audits and conducts such audits.
- Prepares audit work papers in compliance with internal audit policies and IIA standards.
- Evaluates audit observations and drafts recommendations to improve policies, procedures, efficiency and controls. Follows up on recommendations to ensure they are implemented timely and effectively.
- Performs special investigations and projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance required. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal
Auditor (CIA) designation preferred.
- Minimum 2+ years related accounting experience (Big 4 preferred) or comparable private industry internal audit experience preferred. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designation preferred.
- Understanding of internal control concepts and experience in applying them to plan, perform, manage and report on the evaluation of various business processes/ areas/ functions required.
- Ability to work independently under general supervision with considerable latitude for initiative and independent judgment required.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, staff and external contacts, and to work effectively in a professional team environment required.
- Skilled in effective verbal and written communications, including active listening skills and skill in presenting findings and recommendations required.
- Knowledge of retail industry preferred.
- Excellent PC skills including spreadsheet, word processing and presentation programs required. ACL and SAP experience preferred.
Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, Big Lots, Inc. (NYSE: BIG) is a unique, non-traditional, discount retailer operating 1,495 Big Lots stores...