Internal Control Audit is responsible for performing internal control reviews of financial and operational processes, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) control testing, regulatory compliance reviews, and vendor audits for Marathon Petroleum Company, which includes refining, marketing & transportation segments, and its subsidiaries, Marathon Pipe Line LLC and Speedway LLC. Auditors gain an understanding of the operations, assess business risks and controls which mitigate risks, perform testing of controls to ensure effectiveness, and report audit results to management. Given the geographic dispersion of the company’s business assets, approximately 20-30 percent travel within the continental US will be required.
This job will be posted until the position is filled.
Audit work is generally completed in teams of 2-5 auditors and the audit teams are comprised of a Lead Auditor and Staff Auditors. Marathon is looking for experienced auditors to join its team to lead audits.
Lead Auditors are responsible for:
- Planning audits, including:
- obtaining background information on the business function being audited,
- performing a risk and control assessment,
- defining the audit scope and objectives, and
- assigning work responsibilities to staff auditors.
- Managing the audit fieldwork, including:
- reviewing the staff’s audit programs and work papers,
- advising client and audit management of issues identified throughout the audit, and
- working with client management to identify solutions to control deficiencies
- Writing audit reports to client management and executive management to gain commitment of the action plans which mitigate control gaps or ineffective controls.
- Maintaining effective client relationships and promoting internal controls and control awareness throughout the corporation.
- Conducting audit assignments in accordance with the IIA professional standards and departmental policies and procedures.
- Attending external and internal training to develop and maintain skills necessary to understand and respond to business and client needs.
Major Discipline: Accounting
Certifications: CPA or CIA preferred
Years Experience Required: 3+ years of internal audit, public accounting and/or Sarbanes-Oxley experience
Travel Required (%): 20-30%