Job Post - 50503999
Job Title Internal Auditor Employment Type Reference Code
Regular Full-time 0002-NC50503999_001 Location
Springfield STATE ST - MMFG
Company Chartered in 1851, Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (“MassMutual” or the “Company”) is a leading mutual life insurance company that is run for the benefit of its members and participating policyholders. The Company has a long history of financial strength and strong performance, paying dividends to eligible participating policyholders every year since the 1860s. MassMutual is headquartered in Springfield, Massachusetts and its major subsidiaries include OppenheimerFunds, Inc., Babson Capital Management LLC, Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers LLC, Baring Asset Management Limited and First Mercantile Trust Company. MassMutual Financial Group (“MMFG”) is a marketing name for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company and its affiliated companies and sales representatives. MMFG is a global, diversified financial services organization providing life insurance, disability income insurance, long term care insurance, retirement/401(k) plan services, annuities, investment management, mutual funds and trust services to individual and institutional investors. With whole life insurance as its foundation, the company’s strong and growing network of financial professionals helps clients make good financial decisions for the long-term. MassMutual, or its subsidiaries, also have operations in Asia, Europe and Latin America. MassMutual has maintained some of the highest financial strength ratings in any industry, and is committed to maintaining a position of preeminent financial strength by achieving consistent, long-term profitable growth. In total, MassMutual's worldwide insurance in-force was $503.7 billion at the end of 2011, and assets under management were $443 billion. Premium and other deposits totaled $22.9 billion for 2011. MassMutual is ranked 121 on the 2012 Fortune 500 list and was also named one of Fortunes “Most Admired” companies.
Department Corporate Audit provides an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic group of highly visible audit professionals at one of the most well regarded companies in the financial services industry!
Corporate Audit assists the Board of Directors and MassMutual Financial Group (MMFG) management in monitoring, analyzing and strengthening the reliability of internal controls throughout the Company. This objective is achieved by evaluating business processes, risks and controls, leading to recommendations on value-added control improvements. Corporate Audit comprises 76 professionals across the various MMFG businesses/functions and several domestic/international locations.
If you are ready to take the next step in your career, and are eager to work with a driven, motivated and results-oriented team, this opportunity is for you!
Job Summary In this role, you will be exposed to various business areas and have high visibility and access to senior leaders throughout the organization. This role is an excellent opportunity to influence business success and impact positive change. This position generally focuses on more complex audits, and is able to work in a highly self-sufficient manner. Typically this position is involved in activities such as: the preparation of detailed programs for audit; the review of complex financial or management systems and related processes and procedure to determine efficiency, effectiveness, and compliance with accounting practices and standards; the review and evaluation of internal controls and their application in the financial or management operations. Provides advice and consultation to other auditors regarding the review business area controls. This position may assist in the training or orientation of new auditors, identification of emerging risks and audit planning, and taking leadership in Department and other projects.
Role Characteristics • Seasoned individual capable of handling broad scope projects that have short to medium-term focus
Job Responsibilities & Requirements •Conduct audits and projects that evaluate and test the relevant risks, key control points, operations effectiveness and risk management
- Works with guidance on more complex projects
- Capable of applying knowledge to handle all but the most complex problems independently
- Anticipates change and directs or redirects efforts
- Looks for and finds ways to improve operations
- Individual typically has at least 5-7 yrs of related experience
- Work in partnership with audit management, business management and other risk/control functions to ensure that processes, business activities, and internal controls are effective in managing operational, financial, regulatory and business risks
- Survey the business functions and corporate activities in order to set audit scope and audit objectives for specific engagements
- Recommend appropriate business solutions to manage identified risks and controls
- Prepare reports and analyses that communicate audit results for the relevant business conditions and business risks/controls
- Analyze business functions from a financial, operational and compliance perspective
- Conduct audits and projects in accordance with professional standards and department policies and procedures as it relates to specific business functions and/or corporate activities
- Contribute ideas that strengthen internal audit practices and other risk/control efforts
This individual needs to possess strong knowledge and skills in relation to audit/control concepts and analytic activities, as well as internal/external audit and/or financial services background (5+ years) .
Some specific attributes include:
Reports To Audit Manager
- Progressive internal/external audit experience or equivalent financial services business experience •Understanding of audit, internal control, risk and governance principles
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of workflows and business processes
- Ability to identify solutions that effectively address business and control needs
- Strong negotiation, written and verbal communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with high aptitude for learning and strong track record
- Possesses high integrity, professional skepticism and strong business sense
- Commitment to excellence and continual improvement
- Commands respect and credibility with team members and business colleagues
- Anticipates future possibilities, opportunities and risks
- Handles ambiguity with sound business judgment and partnership
- Ability to multi-task effectively in a fast paced environment
- High responsiveness and flexibility to changing business priorities and tight deadlines
- Ability to work within and across organizations
- Bachelors degree in accounting, finance, or related business field
- MBA and/or certifications (e.g., CPA, CFA, CIA, CFSA, etc.) are a plus
Winning Ways • Focus on the Customer: Know your customers well; add value with a sense of urgency. • Act with Integrity: Be trustworthy, adhere to high ethical standards and adhere to the letter and spirit of applicable laws, rules, regulations and company policies • Value People: Lead people to success; appreciate diverse backgrounds, ideas and experiences. • Work Collaboratively: Partner with others to achieve results that leverage the right resources • Achieve Results: Focus on winning; consistently exceeds expectations, beat the competition
MassMutual Financial Group is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (M/F/V/D).
Founded in 1851, MassMutual is a leading mutual life insurance company that is run for the benefit of its members and participating...