Sallie Mae (NASDAQ: SLM) is the nation's No. 1 financial services company specializing in education. Whether college is a long way off or just around the corner, Sallie Mae helps turn education dreams into reality for 25 million customers. With products and services that include college savings programs, scholarship search tools, education loans, insurance, and online banking, Sallie Mae offers solutions that help families save, plan, and pay for college. Sallie Mae also provides financial services to hundreds of college campuses as well as to federal and state governments.
Sallie Mae Corporate IT Internal Auditing department works to promote an effective IT control environment through risk-based audits, SOX testing, pre-implementation reviews, special projects, and risk and control education. Audits and reviews are focused in many areas such as general IT control processes, security administration, business systems, web architecture, host and network security, business continuity planning, and disaster recovery monitoring.
The IT Internal Auditor, with the guidance of the Senior Auditor and Audit Manager will (1) Assist in the execution of IT and operational audits. (2) Complete assigned test work and summarize results in workpapers in accordance with Internal Audit policies and procedures. (3) Understand, track, assess, and communicate both orally and in writing any deficiencies or exceptions noted during testing. (4) Provide assistance with special projects, administrative activities, and special investigations as necessary.
1.Under direction of the Senior Auditor and/or Manager, assist in the execution of information technology and operational audits.
a. Execute fieldwork and perform audit testing using appropriate sampling techniques and data analysis.
b. Communicate progress, findings, and results of assigned test work to Audit Senior and/or Manager timely manner.
c. Complete detailed workpapers that are well organized, cross-referenced, well-supported, and thoroughly self-reviewed.
d. Review business unit controls and management's self-assessment testing. Perform control test work as needed.
e. Understand and follow Sallie Mae's Internal Audit policies and procedures and IIA standards.
f. Accurately record and track time spent on audit and administrative activities.
g. Seek additional work and assist other team members, as needed, in order to achieve department goals and objectives.
2. With the direction of the Senior Auditor and/or Manager, assist in the execution of special projects, SSAE 16 control testing, critical process reviews, administrative activities, and special investigations as needed.
Additional position responsibilities:
* Perform duties in compliance with all state and federal regulations and guidelines. Comply with all company policies and procedures.
* Remain current in profession and industry trends.
* Make a positive contribution as demonstrated by:
* Making suggestions for improvement
* Continuous personal growth
DECISION MAKING LATITUDE
1. Assist with the execution of fieldwork to include working directly with auditee to request audit evidence. Conduct interviews with auditees to understand business/IT processes and verify conclusions resulting from audit fieldwork/testing. Based on the results of these interviews, make decisions on next steps.
2. Review applicable audit documentation with minimal supervisory review (documents include: Control Matrices, Flowcharts, Narratives, Testing Summaries, Audit Reports, ICE Steering Committee presentations, Audit Committee deliverables). This will impact the quality of the overall ICE initiative, and thus the effectiveness of its ability to manage Company risk.
3. With the guidance of the Internal Audit Senior or Manager, evaluate controls for gaps/deficiencies. Evaluations will impact remediation efforts of business leaders, scope of internal audit projects, reporting of issues to executive management and the Audit Committee.
* Bachelor's Degree
Preferred applicable areas of study: Accounting, Computer Science, Information System Management, or Engineering, or equivalent combination of training and relevant experience.
* Must have 2 years of IT auditing, information technology, or relevant work experience.
* CISA is preferred. CPA, CIA, CISSP are a plus.
* Experience working in Internal Audit, Risk Management and/or a Sarbanes-Oxley or regulatory compliance function
* Experience in a Public Accounting environment
* Financial services and/or student loan experience
* Working knowledge of common operating system platforms, business application and network architecture, and major database management systems.:
* Sound interpersonal and organizational skills
* Ability to work with others in a team environment
* Independent thinking and problem-solving skills.
* Proficient written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to multi-task varying priorities and meet deadlines
* Experience with planning and executing assigned tasks efficiently and effectively
* Solid analytical aptitude and research skills
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
* Ability and willingness to travel out of town on a periodic, as needed, basis (approximately 30% of the time)
Sallie Mae is a federal government contractor. Should this position support a government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions.
Sallie Mae, founded 28 years ago, provides funds for educational loans, primarily federally guaranteed student loans originated under the...