Conducts detailed and cursory audits of financial and operational transactions, processes and procedures within the department to facilitate compliance with applicable laws, policies and procedures. Reviews and analyzes the methods by which transactions are conducted and processed within a department and may conduct spot audits of financial operations including funds collections and disbursements. Prepares documentation and reports of findings and coordinates implementation of recommendations with County Officials, management, and staff.
This job is in the Finance job family. Incumbents typically conduct moderately complex to complex audits of departmental financial and operational systems, processes and procedures using Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and standardized financial procedures. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs detailed and cursory audits of financial and operational transactions, processes and procedures within a department to facilitate compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws, policies and procedures. Duties include running queries, auditing cash receipts, disbursements, other revenue and expenditure transactions and processes and procedures. Documents and reports findings and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Performs review of departmental internal control policies and procedures. Documents and reports findings and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Conducts spot audits of transactions and documents and reports findings to management.
- Performs follow-up on audit findings to confirm that problem areas have been corrected according to recommended protocols.
- Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws, policies and procedures for areas being audited.
- Serves as a troubleshooter in assisting management and staff in identifying and resolving audit issues, including statutory, policy and other questions.
- Performs special projects and audits of sensitive or critical nature.
- Communicates audit issues and provides fiscal and operational information and assistance to department management and staff.
- Investigates reported occurrences of fraud, embezzlement, theft and waste and recommends controls to prevent or detect such occurrences. Conducts fact-finding and/or informational interviews.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned .
Education and Experience :
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a directly related field AND five (5) years of increasingly responsible relevant professional level auditing, accounting or financial analysis experience.
Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a directly related field may substitute for two (2) years of the required experience.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver’s License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities :
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology used in internal auditing.
- Federal, state and local applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) and standardized financial practices.
- Knowledge of internal control systems used for general accounting principles.
- Manual and automated systems relating to assigned function.
- Modern office practices, procedures and methods.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Reviewing and analyzing processes and finding problems and/or improvements.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Identifying and recommending alternative methods for improving efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery.
- Entering and reconciling financial data and reporting and monitoring fund and ledger balances.
- Completing professional audit reports.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Analyze, calculate, consolidate, reconcile and interpret financial data and identify errors.
- Prepare reports of findings and recommendations and present to management.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies and providers, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 10-15 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, crawling, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential d uties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:30 to 5:30 PM Monday through Friday
Location: 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin
Department: Tax Collector
Criminal Background Check Required