The Associated Press seeks an Internal Auditor for its headquarters in New York, NY. This position reports to the Director of Internal Audit.
The Internal Audit department is responsible for designing and conducting audits that add value to the company by identifying opportunities to better safeguard assets, enhance profitability (by increasing revenues or decreasing costs), and streamline operations.
The successful candidate has the ability to design and execute audit procedures that identify weak or lacking preventive and detective controls, and the ability to develop audit recommendations to improve identified weaknesses. The individual will have day-to-day interaction with all levels of management and will also work extensively with the external auditors. This is a hands-on position that requires leadership ability with strong communication skills, versatility, self-confidence and self-motivation.
- Plan and perform domestic and international operational audits covering all business cycles.
- Determine the adequacy of controls and the reliability of operational and financial information to ensure the safeguarding of assets as well as compliance with company policies and procedures and local laws and government regulations.
- Understand the environment in which the audit entity operates, focusing on the specific challenges and risks local management faces, and develop value-added recommendations.
- Create and present audit reports for local and senior corporate management summarizing audit findings and recommendations.
- Work with the external auditors to maximize their reliance on internal audit projects, and provide direct assistance to them in connection with their annual audits.
- Perform special projects and investigations on an ad-hoc basis.
The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
- A combination of three- to five years’ progressive experience at a top tier CPA firm and/or corporate internal audit department.
- BS or MS in Accounting or Finance. CPA or a CIA designation preferred. Advanced degree a plus.
- Keen audit sense, solid organizational and analytical skills, and a positive attitude are required.
- Media industry experience a plus.
- Ability to understand the company's operational policies and procedures, systems to be audited, key business processes, and overall company objectives.
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals of internal controls and the ability to properly execute audits designed to test these controls.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously with the ability to see a project through to completion.
- Good practical judgment and decision making skills.
- Creativity and the ability to think “out of the box"
- Excellent interpersonal and written communications skills with ability to communicate professionally with all levels of management, both internally and externally.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook is essential.
- Ability to travel internationally (generally less than 15%) may be required.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language is required.
- Authorization to work in the United States for any employer is mandatory.
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.