Due to growth in our international upstream operations and anticipated future needs, Marathon is recruiting for an experienced accounting manager who will ultimately be assigned to one of our foreign locations. Initially, the selected candidate will be assigned to our head office in Houston, Texas where they will receive training related to Marathon’s policies, procedures and culture. This training, which is expected to last 12 – 18 months, will include brief assignments in areas such as: accounting controls, accounting policy, financial reporting, international accounting (including a foreign location) as well as other groups outside of accounting.
We offer both rotational and resident assignments, depending on location. Candidates should be willing to work in any of our foreign locations as a condition of employment.
- Ensure accounting and reporting is being performed correctly and accurately and that corporate policies are followed.
- Ensure all financial statutory reports are in compliance with applicable accounting standards and Marathon policies and practices.
- Supervise accounting staff and possibly other non-technical support staff.
- Establish standards and practices for employee development and training.
- Manage the personnel and staffing issues for up to 25-30 person staff (approximate).
- Ensure that financial records are maintained in US$ and local currency to generate accurate and timely reports for a wide variety of external and internal users including local and corporate management.
- Interact and provide support to senior managers in the foreign location.
- Ensure all appropriate SOX controls are implemented and are being followed.
- Review all appropriate monthly financial reports and notify management of any issues. Review monthly variance reports comparing actual to forecasts.
- Keep abreast of laws, regulations and government requirements as they relate to Financial and other corporate issues.
- CPA or equivalent (i.e. chartered accountant, ACCA, CIMA) preferred
- Bachelors or Masters degree in accounting or finance
- Must possess strong technical accounting skills and experience
- Proven leadership and supervisory experience supervising an oil and gas accounting team required
- Minimum of 15 years accounting experience working in various accounting functions within an upstream oil and gas accounting organization is required. Previous public accounting experience working on energy clients may be substituted for a minimal portion of the overall experience.
- Previous experience working outside the U.S. either on an expatriate assignment or through relevant work experiences required
- Must be willing and available to work outside the U.S. (including in developing countries which are considered hardship locations) within 18 months of entering program
- Experience working with SAP or another ERP system is preferred
Apply for this job:
- Apply for this job online
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
- Email this opportunity to a friend