Community Mediation Services (CMS)
Internships in the mediation department are NOT available at this time.
Address: 89-64 163rd Street, Jamaica, NY, 11432, US
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: September, 2014 (longer if the intern wants to stay on and the agency agrees)
Applications taken on a rolling basis
Time required: 10 – 15 hours per week (fairly flexible)
College students and retirees welcome to apply
Unpaid – but interns receive:
• free Basic Mediation Training*
• the chance to sit in/audit other trainings
• hands on experience promoting and developing new trainings/program
* Eligibility to take the training for free requires a minimum of forty (40) hours of work for CMS acknowledged by a staff member .
CMS, located in Jamaica, Queens, has been operating for over thirty years and has twenty-four programs.
Its mission is to create and promote more effective approaches to conflict resolution and problem solving for youth, their families, and for individuals, institutions and organizations within the community. CMS’ goal is to empower people to develop skills and to identify resources needed to resolve their own problems. Each program at Community Mediation Services fosters self-determination and creativity within a multi-cultural community.
Five interns are needed to assist with:
• parent education classes
• promoting various types of mediation
• outreach/recruitment of program participants
The work may involve:
• occasionally attending workshops and meetings
• phone calls, emails and in-person meetings
• writing correspondence
• assisting at trainings
• research using the internet
• development of new trainings and programs
• time spent in a nearby courthouse
• data entry
• occasional travel outside of Queens may be required
Skills and experience – Required:
• professional appearance and phone manner – strong communication skills
• computer skills (outlook and Word)
• organized, with an ability to work within deadlines
Skills and experience – Helpful, but not required:
• social media and/or marketing
• Spanish speakers encouraged to apply (may translate during mediations; may translate documents)
Please send a resume and cover letter to (Mr.) Lee Chabin at email@example.com . No phone calls, please.