Summer 2013 Internship Program |
Vera runs an annual summer internship program for undergraduate, graduate, and law school students. Interns typically work full time in one of Vera ’s departments or centers and programs; some part-time positions may be available. In addition to working on individual assignments, all interns participate in events organized by the internship coordinator. For example, last summer interns visited Rikers Correctional Facility, lunched with executive-level management, and visited Vera demonstration projects.
Applications are due February 28, 2013
The Guardianship Project, Legal Intern
The Guardianship Project is one of Vera ’s innovative demonstration projects. It was established to provide model guardianship services to people adjudicated by the courts as incapacitated. The agency serves a culturally diverse population in Manhattan and Brooklyn. The Project employs a range of professionals including social workers, lawyers, property managers, and financial managers who work as a team to provide efficient and effective service and advocacy for our elderly and disabled clients. Guardianship practice covers a wide range of issues, including foreclosures, public benefits, social security, landlord/tenant law, real estate management and transactions, medical decision-making, and elder abuse.
- Researching, drafting, and preparing motions and other court papers
- Providing support to all members of the Legal Department
- Maintaining court docket
- Serving and filing legal papers
- Preparing affirmations detailing services provided to clients
- Appearing in court for hearings and other proceedings
- Consulting with case managers and other staff when necessary
- Conducting legal research
- Identifying clients ’ legal issues as they arise, and addressing them accordingly with supervisors
- Travel to clients ’ homes and residential facilities may be required
To apply please submit a resume, dates of availability and cover letter.
- Priority will be given to Rising 3Ls, but 2Ls will also be considered
- Strong interest in social justice for underserved populations
- Dedication to public interest
- Passion for working with the elderly and/or people with developmental disabilities desirable
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Creativity, flexibility, patience, and follow-through
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in a team environment
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
Summer Internships: Guardianship Legal Internship
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway,12th Floor
New York, NY 10279
Applications received after the deadline will be considered if internships remain unfilled after all on-time applications have been considered.
Note: Prospective interns are encouraged to seek independent funding either through their law schools, colleges, universities or public interest foundations, or through fellowship grants or internship programs.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer
Please visit www.vera.org for information about Vera.
Vera Institute of Justice - 10 months ago