The Internship Coordinator (IC) is fully accountable for the success of the Internship Program including mentor accrual, mentor and student training, successful placement, support and progress monitoring and a connection to student’s career and college goals. The IC is a combined Instructor and Administrator position and is a member of the school’s college team which includes an SAT Prep Instructor and a College Advisor. The course taught by the IC also includes a college preparation component in which students learn about how to strengthen their presentation skills and portfolio to be competitive in college and the global economy.
Mastery’s Internship Program serves students by providing a semester of workplace and job skills training in Semester I which culminates in a 70-hour internship placement on Wednesday afternoons in Semester II.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop productive relationships and partnerships with approximately 100+ mentorship sites from a wide variety of professional industries;
- Build, maintain, and regularly communicate with a robust database of mentors and professional contacts to sustain the internship program for placements, site visits and Career Day;
- Sustain mentor participation and satisfaction of the program;
- Effectively market Mastery and the Internship Program across Mastery and the wider Philadelphia community;
- Plan, coordinate, and host events such as Career Day, Mentor Appreciation Night and Mentor Breakfasts, Exhibition Night;
- Lead students through Exhibition Night preparation – assessing their own college and career readiness and presenting a plan of action to reach their goals;
- Teach Internship Training and Practicum courses guiding students to understand resume writing and interviewing skills as well as workplace etiquette, roles and responsibilities;
- Assist students in relating their abilities and interests to appropriate internship placements. Match approximately 100 students and 100 mentors for highest impact;
- Coordinate field trips, guest speakers, mock interviews and transportation for Internship program.
- Meet with students to review workplace progress and plans for graduation;
- Track students’ progress in the internship classroom and during the practicum experience by conducting site visits and communicating with mentorship sites;
- Support students to find, apply and access summer opportunities through pre-college programs and internships.
- Reach goals of over 90% student mastery of program and over 95% mentor satisfaction/mentor continuation rates.
Education and Experience:
- Extremely strong organizational skills including detailed database work and event planning
- Ability to document student’s academic progress
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with students, teachers, administrators, businesses and organizations
- Strong understanding of workplace best practices of interviewing, resume writing, and professional communication
- Knowledge of public education and charter schools highly desirable but not required
- Excels in problem solving, has a sense of humor and has a desire to provide only the highest quality education for students
Physical Requirements: Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms including standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time, speak loudly and clearly, seeing and hearing things both near and far away, stooping, kneeling, fine finger and hand manipulation in use of a computer, chalkboard, dry erase board or projector.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) with five years of experience in education (urban education experience preferred)
- School-based teaching experience for groups of 25-30 students, using curricula and designing lesson plans
- Strong administrative or business background that reflects strong management and communication and marketing skills
Other Requirements: Position will require travel within the city to visit other Internship Program sites. Must be able to travel via public transportation or by personal vehicle.
Mastery Charter Schools - 15 months ago
Mastery is a growing non-profit charter school network recognized nationally for our work in school turnarounds and dramatic student...