Provides investigative support and assists staff and attorneys in investigating assigned cases in preparation for filing criminal misdemeanor charges and in preparing for trial. Investigations will primarily involve theft by check cases at the misdemeanor level, and may also involve attempts to collect restitution from hot check writers prior to the filing of criminal charges. Investigations may also include service and execution of arrest warrants.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts in-depth criminal investigations.
- Assists in case preparation and provides litigation support.
- Prepares presentations for trials that include digital evidence.
- Locates victims and witnesses.
- Prepares and executes subpoenas.
- Interviews victims and witnesses and takes statements.
- Gathers, verifies, analyzes and organizes evidence. Preserves chain of custody.
- Conducts research and prepares comprehensive reports on assigned cases.
- Provides courtroom security.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience :
Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice or a related field AND (2) two to five (5) years of responsible investigation and law enforcement officer experience.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Must have basic and intermediate certification from Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE). Depending upon assignment, accounting, business or finance background may be preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities :
· Law enforcement administration.
· Texas Penal Code.
· Code of Criminal Procedures.
· Investigation and crime prevention methods.
· Rules of evidence.
· Law governing custody of person.
· General business practices.
· Use of firearms
· Use of computers.
A bility to:
· Analyze and evaluate financial statements, records and general business practices. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing with persons of very diverse socioeconomic backgrounds.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Constant standing, handling, use of vision, depth perception. Frequent reaching, forceful gripping, use of fine dexterity. Occasional sitting, walking, climbing, kneeling/crouching, bending/squatting, lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, talking. Exposure to excessive heat and cold (outdoor conditions); job may involve danger due to contact with criminals and suspects.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Location: 314 W. 11th Street, Suite 100, Austin
Department: County Attorney
Psychological Exam Required
Criminal, Driving, Education & Employment Background Check Required
Travis County - 19 months ago