Responsible for installing, diagnosing and repairing irrigation system equipment in order to provide adequate water supply to parks and athletic fields.
Essential Job Functions
Oversee maintenance and repair of the irrigation systems and water fountains including replacing sprinkler heads, locate and fix leaks, locate and repair wire issues, etc.
Install new irrigation systems and water fountains including digging trenches, running pipes and water lines, installing valves, sprinkler heads, etc., in designated park facilities throughout the City.
Conduct daily inspections of irrigation systems to ensure proper function.
Maintain drainage system for parks and athletic fields. Install or repair drainage boxes or pipes as needed.
May install or repair pavestone at park facilities to enhance the City’s landscape.
Perform basic preventive maintenance on assigned equipment.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- 2-4 years experience in irrigation installation and repairs
Licenses & Certifications
- Comprehensive knowledge of principles and practices of installing, repairing and maintaining irrigation systems
- Comprehensive knowledge of ground maintenance and care
- Comprehensive knowledge of applicable city, state, and federal laws, statutes, ordinances, rules, regulations, policies and procedures in regards to irrigation installing and repairing
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to perform manual labor including use of hand tools and heavy equipment
Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works with frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk. May be exposed to extremes of heat and cold, rain, humidity, wetness, insects, noxious odors, fumes, and physical stress from exertion and lifting. Exposed to physical exertion such as bending, lifting, stooping, reaching, pulling, and pushing. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
2 years related experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.