Livescribe is a privately held, venture-funded, consumer-electronics company that is blazing new trails in the area of digital speech and handwriting and is changing the way people write, learn and communicate. Livescribe products enable consumers to capture handwriting and speech, integrate them as one interactive medium, and share the result with other people, applications or services – directly from pen, paper or tablet, to the Web or other Internet-connected devices.
Reporting into Livescribe’s Pen Software Manager, this role will be a key contributor to the design and development of the embedded software running on the Livescribe Smartpen (embedded OS, JVM and Java Application Framework) and the J2ME applications that allow it to bridge pen, paper, tablet and the Internet.
We are seeking an experienced runtime systems engineer with one foot in the C world and one in the Java world, who has a passion for innovation in consumer electronics and embedded mobile systems and thrives working in highly collaborative Agile teams. Also, a good sense of humor, sense of adventure and someone who loves a good Tiki drink now and again would be great!
The following job description is a basic outline of responsibilities and requirements; salary, title and responsibilities are based on experience.
- Technical contributor designing and implementing software for existing and future Smartpens that can drive and expand the future of digital speech and handwriting.
- Contribute to a high performance development team that spans two continents; engage cross functionally to ensure that designs and development satisfy product requirements, ensure customer quality and are delivered on time.
- Apply your knowledge of object oriented technologies and designs in the development of flexible architectures and APIs.
- Demonstrate technical and execution competence and an ability to “own” projects from early stage design through development and deployment.
- Ensure robustness and correctness of the system by applying best test practices and by promoting the use of those practices within the broader engineering team.
- Help the team to drive the analysis and resolution of key quality issues and performance problems impacting design and production.
- Effectively communicate ideas, objectives and plans internally and externally to the firmware group and project team.
Nice To Have:
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- 5 to 7 years with J2ME and/or C/C++, ideally on embedded platforms
- 3+ years developing applications for mobile devices
- Solid understanding of the software development lifecycle and software development tools (source control, defect tracking systems)
- Experience within an Agile team delivering at least two commercial product releases
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, especially in multilayered application stacks
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Compensation packages include competitive salaries and stock incentives. We are headquartered in Oakland, CA with easy access from 880 and a free shuttle from BART. Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth experience
- Communication protocols (HTTP/OBEX/Wireless/BT)
- Embedded drivers (USB)
- Test driven development including methodologies and frameworks
- Experience designing system APIs and infrastructure
- Open source development: Ant, Eclipse, Emacs, CVS, Linux.
- Experience developing audio interactive interfaces
- Experience with Vision Objects or other handwriting recognition libraries
- Experience with at least one other written foreign language
- Embedded systems (RTOS/Android/ARM/Flash/I2C/SPI)
- Strong working knowledge of file systems, multi-media, audio, audio file formats, and multi-media resource management
- Hardware design and debugging
Livescribe - 2 years ago